[iwar] [fc:Democratic.Leaders.Say.They.Back.a.Government.Takeover.of.Security.at.Airports]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-24 12:22:07

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 12:22:07 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Democratic.Leaders.Say.They.Back.a.Government.Takeover.of.Security.at.Airports]

Democratic Leaders Say They Back a Government Takeover of Security

By MATTHEW L. WALD, NY Times, 9/24/01

ASHINGTON- Democratic leaders of the House and Senate said today that
they favored a federal takeover of airport security, and the Republican
leaders raised no objection.

Representative Richard A.  Gephardt, the House minority leader, said on
the NBC program "Meet the Press" that he hoped for a federal takeover.
"I think we must convince the American people very quickly that it's
safe to go to airports and to get on airplanes and fly as we did before
Sept.  11, and I think the federal government has the central
responsibility to do that," Mr.  Gephardt said.  On the same program,
Speaker J.  Dennis Hastert said, "I think the American people deserve no
less than the most competent people to be there at those gates to go
through and check individuals and luggage and to make sure that the
American public is safe."

The transportation secretary, Norman Y.  Mineta, is awaiting
recommendations from two study panels, due in a few days, a spokesman
said.

In testimony on Friday, Jane F.  Garvey, the head of the Federal
Aviation Administration, said that taking over the job of screening
passengers at the approximately 700 checkpoints at the nation's airports
could cost $1.8 billion a year.  Mr.  Hastert said, "I'm not sure how
we're going to fund this.  It might be the government's responsibility
to do that.  We haven't made that decision yet." On the Senate side, Tom
Daschle, the South Dakota Democrat who is the majority leader, said that
restoring public confidence was essential and that "federal control is
the best way to do this, at least for a period of time."

Mr.  Daschle added, "Maybe there will be another way that would be
equally as effective down the road, but right now I can't think of a
better alternative."

Senator Trent Lott of Mississippi, the minority leader, said Congress
should get to the security question very soon, but he did not comment on
the merits of a federal takeover.

The 700 or so passenger-screening checkpoints are almost all operated by
contractors.  The airlines have chosen nearly universally to give the
job to companies that specialize in security, generally the lowest
bidder.  The F.A.A.  imposes security rules on airlines.  If the
contractors do not meet the federal standards, the aviation agency fines
the airlines.

For several years, the agency has been working on rules to regulate the
contractors directly.  Before the hijackings on Sept.  11, it had hoped
to issue those rules this month.  Now, it is holding off.

Despite suggestions that the airport screening job be handed to the
federal government, no one has specified exactly what that would mean.
Critics, including the Transportation Department's inspector general and
the General Accounting Office, the Congressional audit agency, have
noted that jobs at the airport checkpoints pay less than jobs at nearby
fast-food restaurants, and that the average job tenure is measured in
months.

Screeners are supposed to be legal residents of the United States and
are not supposed to have major criminal convictions, but security
companies sometimes have not verified the status or records of those
they have hired.  Since the hijackings, some critics have questioned
whether verification of immigration status is adequate even when done
properly; some of the hijacking suspects were in this country legally.

Turnover is so rapid that anyone who wanted to take such a job to gain
knowledge of the security system for any reason could probably have done
so.  In tests, the screeners' ability to detect smuggled weapons fell in
the 1990's to 80 percent from 90 percent, and then the F.A.A.  stopped
releasing the numbers altogether.

Critics say that if trainers had more experience the employees would be
more proficient, although critics have not cited studies that compare
performance with length of time on the job.  Another problem with the
existing system, critics say, is that the airlines are responsible, and
that as long as their main goal is getting passengers on airplanes on
time, the thoroughness of the checks will vary with the length of the
line of people waiting to be cleared; if the line is too long, the
checks will be cursory.

Mr.  Mineta was asked at two hearings on Thursday whether he favored a
federal takeover, and he replied that the Bush administration had not
yet decided.  Responding to the lawmakers' televised comments today,
Chet Lunner, the department's chief spokesman, said that the two study
teams, one on airplane security and one on airport security, appointed a
week ago, were meeting daily and that they were due to report by Oct.  1
at the latest.  Referring to the comments by the Congressional leaders,
Mr.  Lunner said, "None of those statements would be inconsistent with
what the secretary's been saying.  We're all looking to improve the
level of security at airports, and the question is in the details, how
exactly we go about that."

Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/JNm9_D/33_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM