[iwar] [fc:TV:.Bin.Laden.Urges.Pakistanis.to.Defend.Afghans]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-24 12:24:33

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 12:24:33 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:TV:.Bin.Laden.Urges.Pakistanis.to.Defend.Afghans]

Monday September 24 10:59 AM ET TV: Bin Laden Urges Pakistanis to Defend
Afghans

TV: Bin Laden Urges Pakistanis to Defend Afghans

DUBAI (Reuters) - A Gulf Arab satellite television station Monday quoted
Osama bin Laden, the top suspect in September 11 attacks in the United
States, as urging Pakistanis to fight any assault on Afghanistan by
``crusader Americans.''

``We incite our Muslim brothers in Pakistan to deter with all their
capabilities the American crusaders from invading Pakistan and
Afghanistan,'' Qatar's al-Jazeera television reported him as saying in a
statement dated September 23.

Washington wants Afghanistan-based bin Laden ``dead or alive'' for what
it sees as his guiding hand in the suicide plane attacks in New York and
Washington that killed thousands of people.  Bin Laden has denied any
role in the attacks.

There was no immediate independent confirmation of the statement's
authenticity.  An editor at Jazeera said the Qatar-based satellite
channel, which interviewed the Saudi-born militant in Afghanistan in
1999, considered the statement genuine.

``I assure you, dear brothers, that we are firm on the road of jihad
(holy struggle) for the sake of God inspired by His Prophet, may peace
be upon him, and with the heroic faithful Afghani people under the
leadership of the emir of the faithful Mullah Mohammed Omar,'' the
statement said, referring to the reclusive leader of Afghanistan's
Taliban rulers.

The statement said it was being sent to express condolences for what it
called the killing of Muslims in recent disturbances in Karachi related
to U.S.  plans to use Pakistan in its campaign of retaliation against
the suicide-hijacks.

``We hope those brothers (killed in Karachi) are the first martyrs in
the battle of Islam in this age,'' it said.

``The new Jewish Crusader campaign is led by the biggest crusader Bush
under the banner of the cross,'' it said in reference to President Bush.

The statement faxed to Jazeera was typed in Arabic, signed ''Osama bin
Laden'' in typed letters and signed in handwriting by ''Osama
Mohammad.''

Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/XrFcOC/m5_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM