[iwar] [fc:Civilization.vs..the.middle.ages]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-25 04:44:55

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 04:44:55 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Civilization.vs..the.middle.ages]

September 14, 2001

FOREIGN AFFAIRS
Smoking or Non-Smoking?
By THOMAS L. FRIEDMAN

JERUSALEM -- If this attack on America by an extensive terrorist cell is
the equivalent of World War III, it's not too early to begin thinking
about what could be its long-term geopolitical consequences.  Just as
World Wars I and II produced new orders and divisions, so too might this
war.  What might it look like?

Israel's foreign minister, Shimon Peres, offers the following
possibility: Several decades ago, he notes, they discovered that smoking
causes cancer.  Soon after that, people started to demand smoking and
non-smoking sections.  "Well, terrorism is the cancer of our age," says
Mr.  Peres.  "For the past decade, a lot of countries wanted to deny
that, or make excuses for why they could go on dealing with terrorists.
But after what's happened in New York and Washington, now everyone
knows.  This is a cancer.  It's a danger to us all.  So every country
must now decide whether it wants to be a smoking or non-smoking country,
a country that supports terrorism or one that doesn't."

Mr.  Peres is on to something - this sort of division is going to emerge
- but we must be very, very careful about how it is done, and whom we,
the U.S., assign to the smoking and non-smoking worlds.

As Mr.  Peres himself notes, this is not a clash of civilizations - the
Muslim world versus the Christian, Hindu, Buddhist and Jewish worlds.
The real clash today is actually not between civilizations, but within
them - between those Muslims, Christians, Hindus, Buddhists and Jews
with a modern and progressive outlook and those with a medieval one.  We
make a great mistake if we simply write off the Muslim world and fail to
understand how many Muslims feel themselves trapped in failing states
and look to America as a model and inspiration.

"President Lincoln said of the South after the Civil War: 'Remember,
they pray to the same God,'" remarked the Middle East analyst Stephen P.
Cohen.  "The same is true of many, many Muslims.  We must fight those
among them who pray only to the God of Hate, but we do not want to go to
war with Islam, with all the millions of Muslims who pray to the same
God we do." The terrorists who hit the U.S.  this week are people who
pray to the God of Hate.  Their terrorism is not aimed at reversing any
specific U.S.  policy.  Indeed, they made no demands.  Their terrorism
is driven by pure hatred and nihilism, and its targets are the
institutions that undergird America's way of life, from our markets to
our military.

These terrorists must be rooted out and destroyed.  But it must be done
in a way that doesn't make us Osama bin Laden's chief recruiter.
Because these Muslim terrorists did not just want to kill Americans.
That is not the totality of their mission.  These people think
strategically.  They also want to trigger the sort of massive U.S.
retaliation that makes no distinction between them and other Muslims.
That would be their ultimate victory - because they do see the world as
a clash of civilizations, and they want every Muslim to see it that way
as well and to join their jihad.

Americans were really only able to defeat Big Tobacco when
whistleblowers within the tobacco industry went public and took on their
own industry, and their own bosses, as peddlers of cancer.  Similarly,
the only chance to really defeat these nihilistic terrorists is not just
by bombing them.  That is necessary, but not sufficient, because another
generation will sprout up behind them.  Only their own religious
communities and societies can really restrain and delegitimize them.
And that will happen only when the Muslim majority recognizes that what
the Osama bin Ladens are leading to is the destruction and denigration
of their own religion and societies.  This civil war within Islam,
between the modernists and the medievalists, has actually been going on
for years - particularly in Egypt, Algeria, Saudi Arabia, Jordan and
Pakistan.  We need to strengthen the good guys in this civil war.  And
that requires a social, political and economic strategy, as
sophisticated, and generous, as our military one.

To not retaliate ferociously for this attack on our people is only to
invite a worse attack tomorrow and an endless war with terrorists.  But
to retaliate in a way that doesn't distinguish between those who pray to
a God of Hate and those who pray to the same God we do is to invite an
endless war between civilizations - a war that will land us all in the
smoking section.

Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/JNm9_D/33_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM