Re: [iwar] Comments on the Dartmouth Security Study

From: e.r. (fastflyer28@yahoo.com)
Date: 2001-09-27 08:08:37

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: "e.r." <fastflyer28@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 08:08:37 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [iwar] Comments on the Dartmouth Security Study

suspect actions of kids have cost this cost a great deal of money.
Nothing is a joke any longer.
--- "B.K. DeLong" <bkdelong@pobox.com> wrote:
> At 07:02 AM 09/27/2001 -0700, you wrote:
> > > 2.  Report of suspicious activity to law enforcement immediately
> > > facilitate the warning and investigative processes (Page 19)
> >
> >As in (1) above, this is likely to further overburden law
> enforcement
> >and create an inability to differentiate or respond to the most
> >important events.
>
> Agreed and how do you quantify what should really be reported to law
> enforcement? Even prior to said terrorist events there is an
> incredible
> amount of "suspicious activity", much of which caused by kids and
> ex-employees of companies within the US.
>

> I must say, scanning through this report I am QUITE disappointed with
> all
> the "events" pointed out from Israel/Palestine to US - Chinese plane
> incident to Kashmir to Yugoslavia. All of which were perpetrated by
> script
> kiddies in their respective countries. There might have been a few
> incidents in the Israel/Palestine conflict that may have been
> specifically
> targeted but the rest of this is just bullshit kidiot activity.
>
> If Vatis REALLY wanted to put the fear of god in people he'd mention
> in
> 1994 when some idiot who thought it might be funny to shut off a
> rival
> hacker's power hacked into some hydroelectric dam and had access to
> the
> floodgates. Or perhaps a security system of an airport in Florida
> that had
> an open dialup without password protection. What about the REAL
> infrastructure issues like power, water, etc? Why aren't we hearing
> real
> stories about that? Besides the California Power grid being stumbled
> upon?
> Or the age-old story of the kid who got into the ATC system of a
> Worcester
> airport?
>
> All the stuff referenced in the four "conflicts" we primarily Web
> site
> defacements and DDoSs of non-critical networks....sometimes
> individual Web
> servers. The biggest DDoS to date was  that of Feb 2000 - and it
> wasn't
> even conflict related. The worm viruses referenced most likely had
> nothing
> to do with the conflicts themselves - they merely took advantage of
> the
> fact that the incidents were in people's minds as they were in the
> news and
> were simply used as a means for getting people to click on the
> program to
> launch the worm....
>
> Unbelievable - this report may have worse of an effect in regards to
> justifying US kiddies activity than the "Wag the Delio" incident that
>
> prolonged the US/China spree.

> [...]

http://phone.yahoo.com

Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yQix2C/33_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM