Re: [iwar] [fc:Battling.Terrorism:.Trading.Digital.Privacy.for.Nothing?]

From: Tony Bartoletti (azb@llnl.gov)
Date: 2001-10-01 14:50:21

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: Tony Bartoletti <azb@llnl.gov>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 14:50:21 -0700
Subject: Re: [iwar] [fc:Battling.Terrorism:.Trading.Digital.Privacy.for.Nothing?]

At 04:16 PM 9/28/01 -0700, you wrote:
>Battling Terrorism: Trading Digital Privacy for Nothing?

Indeed.

Those who would acquiesce to the sacrifice of civil liberties, in the cause
of fighting terrorism, or in the name of patriotism, need some real education.

Dedicated, professional terrorists are unlikely to be caught in such
webs.  They will adapt faster than our legislation or technological means
to circumvent communications secrecy.

Those who say "anyone opposing expanded surveillance legislation, such as
the monitoring of email, must have something to hide" are in part
correct.  But having something to hide is often for the good.  Ignore, for
the moment, historical abuses of power from high up.  We know that local
law enforcement, although largely made of law-abiding and good people, have
their share of bad apples as well.

Suppose you are the victim of abusive treatment.  You try to work through
the usual channels, but to no avail.  You cannot afford a private
investigator, so you begin to "network" with others who have suffered
similar abuse, to try to gather enough evidence to make a strong case.  But
now, your local officials, already advised of your "complaints", begin to
surreptitiously monitor your "traffic", discover the depth of your
evidence, and your plans to "meet somewhere".  Along the way, you are
pulled over.

Was I speeding?  Another officer bends down to find a small baggie of white
powder on the floorboard of your car.

Meanwhile, other "colleagues" have entered your computer, either physically
or remotely (we need those backdoors; you don't want terrorists to be able
to hide, do you?) and systematically erase or modify the evidence you have
garnered against them.

Need I continue?

There is SO MUCH MORE that the law enforcement community could do, given
much better funding, WITHIN the current framework of laws and regulations,
that it is folly to use the current crisis to "suspend" constitutional
protections, as if it would be a temporary measure (lasting only as long as
the "war on terrorism"... ... ...) or even of significant effect.

Such a fundamental shift in the balance of liberties and security may seem
"reasonable" in the short term, but the long term effect will be to create
a society that has a greater fear of its local law enforcement than of
foreign threats.

Tony Bartoletti 925-422-3881 <azb@llnl.gov>
Information Operations, Warfare and Assurance Center
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Livermore, CA 94551-9900

Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yQix2C/33_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM