[iwar] [fc:FCC.OKs.Delayed.Deployment.Plans.for.E-911]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-05 20:09:29

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 20:09:29 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:FCC.OKs.Delayed.Deployment.Plans.for.E-911]

FCC OKs Delayed Deployment Plans for E-911

Reuters, 10/5/2001

U.S.  federal regulators conditionally approved on Friday requests by
five wireless companies to extend the timetable for more precisely
pinpointing the location of people calling 911 from their mobile
telephones.

The Federal Communications Commission (news - web sites) said the
biggest U.S.  mobile telephone carriers Verizon Wireless, Sprint PCS and
Nextel Communications (Nasdaq:NXTL - news) had met all the requirements
for providing plans for phasing in enhanced 911 services.

Yet, the agency said it was involved in discussions with Cingular
Wireless and AT&amp;T Wireless Services Inc.  (NYSE:AWE - news) for
possible enforcement action against the two for failing to timely submit
its compliance plans for part of their networks.

``I am disappointed and unsatisfied with the progress we have made, thus
far,'' FCC (news - web sites) Chairman Michael Powell said in a
statement.  ``I know and respect that carriers have made concerted
strides in this area, but those efforts must be re-doubled.''

Oct.  1 was the deadline for U.S.  wireless companies to begin offering
improved location capability on their networks but most have asked the
FCC to delay implementation because of troubles they said they have had
obtaining the necessary technology and handsets in time.

Sprint PCS (NYSE:FON - news)(NYSE:PCS - news), the No.  4 wireless
carrier, began this week selling a mobile telephone handset made by
Samsung Electronics that has global positioning system location
functionality but the service won't be available until November and only
then in one market, Rhode Island.

The FCC said its enforcement bureau will be charged with ensuring
compliance with the deployment schedules and the carriers will have to
file progress reports every three months, starting in February.

``We can do better than this -- we must do better than this.  Enhanced
911 will save lives,'' said FCC Commissioner Michael Copps.  He was the
only commissioner to oppose granting some of the waiver requests,
specifically Verizon's and Nextel's.

Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ -
news) and Vodafone Group Plc (VOD.L).  Cingular Wireless is a joint
venture of BellSouth Corp.  (NYSE:BLS - news) and SBC Communications
Inc.  (NYSE:SBC - news).

Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/UnN2wB/m5_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM