[iwar] [fc:Taliban.Threaten.to.Attack.Uzbekistan.if.Aids.U.S.]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-06 21:28:08

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 21:28:08 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Taliban.Threaten.to.Attack.Uzbekistan.if.Aids.U.S.]

October 6, 2001

By REUTERS

Filed at 2:43 p.m. ET

ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - Officials of Afghanistan's ruling Taliban on
Saturday threatened to attack Uzbekistan if it allowed U.S.  forces to
attack Afghanistan from Uzbek territory, Taliban-run radio reported.

``We will attack Uzbekistan if any attack is launched from its
borders,'' Radio Voice of Shariat quoted officials as telling a rally in
Hairaton, near the Uzbek border.

The broadcast was monitored by Reuters in Pakistan.

Uzbekistan's President Islam Karimov on Friday told visiting Defense
Secretary Donald Rumsfeld he would make an air base available for use by
U.S.  cargo planes, helicopters and troops, but only for humanitarian
and rescue operations.

Some 1,000 soldiers of the U.S.  army's 10th Mountain Division have been
sent to Uzbekistan, on an unprecedented deployment of American forces in
a former Soviet republic.

``We are against the usage of our territory for the land operations
against Afghanistan and we are against air strikes executed from the
territory of Uzbekistan,'' Karimov said after meeting Rumsfeld.

``We do not have any guarantees that tomorrow we will not find ourselves
face to face with these terrible terrorist forces and so we do not want
to allow ourselves to be used by anyone.''

The country is ideally placed as a base for any U.S.  operation in
Afghanistan, where the ruling Taliban are sheltering Osama bin Laden,
the man Washington blames for last month's attacks on the United States.

Analysts in Washington expect U.S.  strategy to include missions by
special forces inside Afghanistan, and say Karimov's insistence that
Uzbekistan will not be the springboard for such attacks poses problems
for military planners.

But they said the definition of ``humanitarian'' and ``rescue''
operations might be quietly broadened with Tashkent's consent.

The former Soviet republic was the jumping-off point for the ill-fated
Soviet invasion of Afghanistan in 1979.

Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/UnN2wB/m5_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM