[iwar] [fc:Data.Security.-.The.Rules.are.Changing.By.Fred.Moore]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-08 10:56:00

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 10:56:00 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Data.Security.-.The.Rules.are.Changing.By.Fred.Moore]

Data Security - The Rules are Changing By Fred Moore
Computer Technology News, 10/8/2001

Attack on America has greatly heightened our collective awareness
regarding terrorism and many related aspects of national security. The
overall issue of security is instantly becoming the foremost I.T. issue.
Physical damages from the attack range into the trillions of dollars.
The early reports from Wall Street are most encouraging and indicate
that most customer and business critical data appear to have been saved
by robust, automated, and remotely located data backup systems coupled
with effective disaster prevention strategies. A lesson learned, or
re-learned, is that critical data should never be kept only on a local
basis but should have geographically separate copies.

We typically describe the I.T. industry as a $2-3 trillion business
annually but do we have any idea of the value of the data that the I.T.
industry supports? Clearly the value of data far exceeds the value of
the supporting infrastructure. The question of how valuable a given
businesses' data is has often been asked but is seldom answered. Few if
any companies know the value of their data yet many are now realizing
that data has become their most critical asset and survival is based on
it. For example, the true value of the data being generated from the
human genome research project is impossible to determine as its impact
is just beginning to take effect and won't fully manifest itself for
many years to come. Also, the amount of information gathered about the
terrorists in just a few days after the Sept. 11 attack was amazing and
would not have been possible without the heavy role contributed by
computer systems. I.T. will play a critical role in the world's quest
for safety and security from this day forward. Therefore we must place a
greater emphasis on security, disaster recovery and availability.
An informal poll (published in Computerworld Sept. 24, Vol. 35),
indicated that 75% of the 700 plus respondents said they had no plans to
put I.T. projects on hold in the aftermath of the attacks. Eleven
percent said that they would likely postpone some projects and 14% were
undecided. The following areas of the I.T. industry could change and
accelerate as a result of the events of Sept. 11.

Changes We Might See As A Result Of The Attacks

The remaining SSPs (Storage Service Providers) have a renewed
opportunity based on their original value proposition of remotely
outsourcing physical storage subsystems, particularly for hosting
geographically remote data vaults for backup and recovery.  Hot site and
disaster recovery strategies will get more attention. Over 100 disaster
declarations were filed as a result of the Sept. 11 attack.  Backup is
important, recovery is mission critical, and the new value proposition
for companies offering backup/recovery solutions will differentiate them
on how quickly they can recover your I.T. operations to acceptable
levels of functionality.  Tape library suppliers (there are 17 at last
count) should aggressively develop and offer their disaster recovery and
remote data vault strategies. This could mean partnering with backup and
recovery software companies and offering high-speed bandwidth access in
order to move data over distances greater than 10 kilometers. ? The use
of physically removable media could increase as the capability to move
copies of data to new and safer locations without dependency on the
supply of readily available electricity accelerates.  The demand for
bandwidth could accelerate faster than current projections as
backup/recovery strategies become implemented more frequently. The
abrupt reduction in air travel will increase the use of
videoconferencing and further add to bandwidth demands. Fortunately,
there is an abundance of installed bandwidth.  The demand for more
highly effective backup solutions place further emphasis on mirroring,
snapshot, incremental, differential, forensic and new methods that
minimize backup and recovery times.  SLAs (Service Level Agreements)
will take on new dimensions with emphasis on anticipated recovery
times.  The fight on cyber-crime must and will accelerate as the biggest
challenge for the continued evolution of the internet is security,
though some may argue it is latency. In 1990, the Jerusalem virus took
three years to become prevalent. In 1999, the Melissa virus took four
days to become prevalent and did an estimated $385 million in damages.
In 2000, the I Love You virus became prevalent worldwide in just five
hours and did over $700 million in damages. The internet is the most
widespread communications vehicle of all time and also can be used to
communicate both good and bad information globally in a few hours.
Security providers targeting internet virus detection and prevention
become even more critical to future success of the internet and will
have to deliver a new generation of security solutions. Significant
opportunities exist in eliminating the root cause of virus creation.

The implementation of Wide-Area SANs should accelerate as server-less
backup and recovery capability over long distances now take on a new
meaning.  PC backup strategies will no longer be optional as the value
of data at the single-user system is significant.  The position of Chief
Security Officer will gain emphasis as companies identify the staff and
teams responsible for data security.  Key recovery staff should attain
certification through facilities such as the Disaster Recovery Institute
in Falls Church, VA.  Look for a new I.T. security index to evolve and
gain popularity, similar to the number of nines (99.xxx) of availability
that describes the level of security for the I.T. operation within a
company.  The biometric industry and its role in security should get a
significant boost. Biometrics means life measurement. Much of the
activity in Biometrics is beginning to center around security using
automated methods to identify people based on their behavioral traits or
physical characteristics. Face recognition, fingerprints, hand geometry,
iris scanning, voice recognition, retina scanning, thermal face
recognition and handwriting analysis are the most common types of
biometric methods. Thermal face recognition is extremely difficult to
fool, works under nearly any condition, and is possibly the most
expensive of today's biometric technologies. The cost of the technology
to perform Thermal face Recognition is typically over $50,000 compared
to a $3000 cost for the camera to perform a retina scan and $50 to
$1,000 for finger scan technology. The high expense of biometric
solutions has previously slowed its usage but the cost of not using
these techniques is now painfully obvious to the world.

Preparing for the unthinkable is no longer an option for many
businesses. Information Technology will contribute heavily in providing
vastly improved national and global security. Though the price will be
steep, the long-term payback will be measured in terms of survival

Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/UnN2wB/m5_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM