[iwar] [fc:War.Without.End]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-10 08:54:40

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 08:54:40 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:War.Without.End]

Wall Street Journal
October 10, 2001
War Without End

Following is an e-mail exchange that occurred Sept.  19 between a senior
cadet at West Point and one of his professors, retired Gen.  Barry
McCaffrey.  From 1996-2001, Gen.  McCaffrey served as the director of
the Office of National Drug Control Policy.  He earned three Purple
Hearts in Vietnam and led the 24th Mechanized Infantry Division in the
Persian Gulf War.

Cadet: Could you describe what you think the United States should
consider as an "endstate" on the matter of dealing with terrorists?
Eradication, containment, or some other option? And what would the
United States consider the literal and figurative center of gravity?

Gen.  McCaffrey: Great issue to consider .  .  .  we have too liberally
borrowed from the language of science to deal with the imperfections of
political and security analysis.

There will be no endstate .  .  .  we will, if successful, manage this
chronic threat to our survival, economy, and self-confidence by
dramatically lowering the risk.  We will build a series of defensive
programs that will make a multiple order of magnitude increase in our
day-to-day security.  Second, we will form a coalition based on common
danger.  Much of the globe will join us to leverage foreign intelligence
services and security forces to fight these FTO's forward in the battle
area.  Finally, we will at last take the gloves off and use integrated
military power to find, fix, and destroy these organizations.

We are going to disrupt these people thru pre-emptive attack .  .  .  we
will deceive them, we will run psyops on them .  .  .  at selected
points and times they will be killed suddenly, in significant numbers,
and without warning.  Tomahawk missiles, 2000 lb laser guided weapons
dropped from B2's or F22's at very high altitude, remote control booby
traps, blackmail, and at places .  .  .  small groups of soldiers or
Seals will appear in total darkness .  .  .  blow down the doors and
kill them at close range with automatic weapons and hand grenades.  We
will find their money and freeze it.  We will arrest their front agents.
We will operate against their recruiting and transportation functions.
We will locate their training areas and surveill or mine them.  We will
isolate them from their families.  We will try to dominate their
communication function and alternately listen, jam, or spoof it.  We
will make their couriers disappear.  If we can find out how they eat, or
play, or receive rewards, or where they sleep .  .  .  we will go there
and kill them by surprise.

The military component will be a supporting but lesser aspect of a
strategy that will be based fundamentally on diplomatic and economic
leverage to compel cooperation with international law.  Of prime
importance, we must reduce the environmental factors that feed this type
of extremist madness .  .  .  foreign aid must be dramatically increased
to address the misery and poverty of the Palestinians, the Afghans, the
Sudanese and others.

We must also not be unwilling to confront the State sponsors of terror .
.  .  Iraq, Iran, Sudan, Cuba, North Korea .  .  .  none can be allowed
to provide the base for another sickening strike against our civilian
population or our Allies.  Conventional military power will be used at
the end of the day to place at risk those states who present a direct
threat to our security.  If deterrence does not work with coherent
political and economic measures in support of a threat capability .  .
.  then their political will must be shattered with overwhelming
violence directed at their armed forces and the political
decision-makers.

The big challenge will be to organize America to protect our
transportation, our economic activity, our entertainment, etc., with
minimal invasion of our privacy and our free movement.  We will
constrain domestic law enforcement through the protection of our
Judicial System.  We will ensure the unfettered operation of a free
press.  We will have to be zealous to protect the Bill of Rights and the
dignity and safety of foreigners living among us during this war.

We can do all of this.  We have no option.  The American people will
depend on you and your fellow soldiers to step forward and stand between
us and the barbarians.

Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/UnN2wB/m5_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM