[iwar] [fc:No.Spooks,.Please..We're.Academics]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-10 08:53:20

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 08:53:20 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:No.Spooks,.Please..We're.Academics]

Time
October 15, 2001
No Spooks, Please. We're Academics
By Jodie Morse

The best hope for finding and stopping Osama bin Laden, Donald Rumsfeld
has said, is "a scrap of information." But it remains to be seen whether
government officials would know how to translate that scrap.  In the
days following the attacks, the FBI appealed to speakers of Arabic and
Afghan languages to sign up for its $ 27-to-$ 38-per-hour translator
gigs.  One reason for the shortage? The dearth of top-notch, well-funded
Arabic departments at U.S.  colleges.

In the past year, the Defense Department has been quietly working with
Congress and universities to ease this language barrier.  A solution
gaining favor is the creation of ROTC-style language academies at
several campuses across the country.  In exchange for free instruction
in Arabic and other languages key to intelligence gathering, students
would be required to serve in national-security jobs.

But the idea hasn't been welcomed on all fronts.  The University of
Michigan declined an invitation last spring to participate in the
fledgling Pentagon program.  "We didn't want our students to be known as
spies in training," says Carol Bardenstein, an assistant professor of
Arabic language and culture at Michigan.  "By intertwining intelligence
and academics, we'd essentially be recruiting Arabs to later inform on
members of their own community." The advocates of the program will pitch
Michigan again next month.  Perhaps Sept.  11 will bring a change of
heart.

Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yQix2C/33_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM