[iwar] [fc:Bin.Laden.Wins.African.Cult.Status]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-13 15:23:26

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 15:23:26 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Bin.Laden.Wins.African.Cult.Status]

Bin Laden Wins African Cult Status
Date:   Friday, October 12, 2001
Country:    Africa
Source: CNN

Story:  By CNN's Inside Africa's Jeff Koinange GUSAU, Nigeria (CNN) --
Muslims in Nigeria are flocking to a state capital -- to pick up Osama bin
Laden memorabilia. In the state of Zamfara, Nigeria, where the Muslim
practice of Sharia law is practiced, the curious and the fanatical are buying
copies of the Koran and pictures of bin Laden. Buyers also travel from
neighbouring Lagos -- a 10-hour drive to Zamfara's capital Gusau -- to get a
glimpse of pictures of the man and his message. Bin Laden, who has also been
accused of masterminding two bomb attacks on U.S. embassies in Africa, is
wanted by the U.S. for plotting the suicide strikes on the World trade Center
and The Pentagon. In Gusau, street seller Sanni Ahmed Sanni says, at first,
he had no idea who Bin Laden was but quickly realised with the brisk sales
this was an important person. Now he's having trouble meeting the growing
demand. "Yes yes. Very popular," he said. "Everybody buys. Christians and
Muslims. It's very popular." Sylvester Eheda, who was buying a poster, said:
"I just wanted to buy it because I have been hearing a lot about bin Laden,
so I want to know more information about him. "I love seeing his poster
because he's wanted. I love reading about him and knowing more about him. "
Governments are waiting to see the impact this popularity could have on their
nations -- Muslims make up nearly half of Africa's 750 million people.
African involvement in the war on terror has mostly been limited to offering
air-space and intelligence support. No country on the continent has been able
to assist militarily or logistically to the coalition forces. But many
African countries could become unstable if Muslims and Christians clash over
their national policies towards the war on terror. Nigeria is the most
populous, and plans a series of demonstrations to show growing
dissatisfaction with the U.S.-led coalition. Clerics say the interest in bin
Laden is a repeat of the Islam hero-worship during the U.S.-led Gulf War
against Iraq 10 years ago. Sheikh Ibraheem Zakzak, a Muslim cleric in Zaria,
Nigeria, told CNN: "Then they put up posters of Saddam and a lot of people
named their children born at that time Saddam. "If anything, it shows that
America is the aggressor in every war it goes into, so who ever it has made
aggression against turns out to be a hero." The state's governor, a staunch
Muslim and the man credited with bringing Sharia to Nigeria, says the
country's new democratic constitution allows for such freedoms. Alhaji Ahmad
Sani, governor of Zamfara state, said: "You can find posters of the Pope, you
find posters of all sorts of people. "It is an individual's right. We are in
a democratic dispensation. We have total freedom of association, total
freedom of belief, freedom of religion, freedom of thought. Whatever one
wants to do." He condemns the attacks on the U.S. -- saying such violence is
against the Koran. But, he adds, that does not justify an eye-for-an-eye
approach. Sani added: "Six-thousand people lost their lives in America, if
another 6,000 people lose their lives in Afghanistan, Americans will not feel
that they have achieved something, that they have revenged what has happened
to them because the lives of those of who have not been lost will not come
back. "So I think it is better for the American government to think twice,
look at these innocent people who are hungry, who are living in Afghanistan
and find another way of dealing with whatever problems that exist instead of
bombarding the country." He rejects the U.S. argument that it is trying to
feed the hungry in Afghanistan with airborne food drops, by accusing it of
beginning to behave like a schoolyard bully. Zakzak added: " What pride has
America got to make in being the richest nation in the world today attacking
Afghanistan which is the poorest nation in the world?What cause has it to be
proud of even if it turns out to be victorious? " He rejects the coalition's
argument that their target is the terrorist, and not Islamist. "People think
that America is the aggressor in this and the word they use often, terrorism,
is also mounting a terrorist attack on innocent people. "So even if Osama bin
Laden was guilty of the offence, what they are doing is not justice."