[iwar] [fc:Saudi.prince.blames.Jews.for.return.of.donation]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-14 10:12:12

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 10:12:12 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Saudi.prince.blames.Jews.for.return.of.donation]

           Saudi prince blames Jews for return of donation
                         RIYADH, Saudi Arabia
Nando - A Saudi prince has cited "Jewish pressure" for the rejection
of his $10 million donation to a New York relief fund.
New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani, who accepted the donation from
billionaire Saudi investor Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal on Thursday,
ordered the money returned when he learned about a statement Alwaleed
had made on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
"The whole issue is that I spoke about their position (on the Middle
East conflict) and they didn't like it because there are Jewish
pressures and they were afraid of them," Alwaleed said in remarks
published in the daily Okaz.
He said Giuliani "can say what he wants. My comments were welcomed in
Palestinian circles, and (Palestinian Authority) President Yasser
Arafat sent me a thank you letter."
During his visit to the wreckage of the World Trade Center on
Thursday, Alwaleed called the Sept. 11 terrorist attack "a tremendous
crime" and said Osama bin Laden, a Saudi dissident who is the prime
suspect, "does not belong to Islam."
But in a written statement handed out by his publicist during the
visit, the prince added: "At times like this one, we must address some
of the issues that led to such a criminal attack. I believe the
government of the United States of America should re-examine its
policies in the Middle East and adopt a more balanced stance toward
the Palestinian cause."
Alwaleed told The Associated Press on Friday that Israeli attacks on
Palestinians were "an important factor destabilizing the region," a
view widely held by Arabs throughout the region.
Despite Giuliani's rejection of his donation, Alwaleed said he
respected the mayor for the "spectacular job" he has done in the month
since the attack.
"My policies and actions are an indisputable part of those of my
country and I cannot contradict them," Okaz quoted him as saying.
Many Arabs are angry with the United States, accusing it of unfairly
siding with Israel in the conflict with the Palestinians.

Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/UnN2wB/m5_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM