Re: [iwar] [fc:ALERT:.Heroin:.Anthrax.contaminated(?]

From: e.r. (fastflyer28@yahoo.com)
Date: 2001-10-15 20:01:00

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: "e.r." <fastflyer28@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 20:01:00 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [iwar] [fc:ALERT:.Heroin:.Anthrax.contaminated(?]

Tony- from the west coast, the herion may seem of interest, but as of
today, Senior members of the Senate, Network Anchor's and a few other
folks with very high TVq's received anthrax in the mail. A 7 month old
child of a staffer at ABC almost died from anthrax exposure-the doctors
missed it-and another person related to a staffer at the Florida tab
came down with a serious case of it today.  I think that we can say
that systematically, someone, or a group is succeeding in frightening
275million Americans.  The NBC and Senate letters were postmarked on 18
Sept AFTER the bombings. While it was only a matter of time that a
terrorist attack would succeed in this country, the notion of it being
an ongoing issue was not discussed by the senior governmental leaders.
Now, they have no choice.  It is high time that Gov Ridge simply start
knocking the actions of the bad guys off of page one.  That, however,
will be no easy matter.  There are several bills on the Hill to address
the problem-none of them too good-and as per usual with an issue that
demands attention, Washington will provide not much to support problems
at home, regardless of what is said.
--- Tony Bartoletti <azb@llnl.gov> wrote:
> Aside from the preposterous notion that anthrax, no less smallpox,
> could
> survive the processing that heroin undergoes in the delivery to its
> end
> users ... think about the motives (or lack of motives) behind such a
> scheme.
>
> It would be the "middle-men" who repackage (and often dilute) the
> product,
> long before it hit the streets, who would be the most likely
> casualties,
> serving mainly to disrupt and demolish the very drug trade that
> provides a
> wealth of hidden finance to the shady activities of the world.
>
> Seems counterproductive from a terrorist point of view...
>
> ____tony____
>

> At 07:01 AM 10/15/01 -0700, you wrote:
> >Subject: ALERT: Heroin: Anthrax contaminated(?)
> >
> >THE CONTENT OF THIS ALERT IS UNCONFIRMED
> >
> >(REDACTED)
> >"...heard from a friend who has spent some time in the vicinity of
> >Afghanistan (he's a Pakistani Engineer) that the word is that some
> >batches of heroin shipped out of Afghanistan are going to be
> >contaminated with anthrax, or smallpox. This should be disseminated
> on
> >the street, but probably will be completely ignored."(REDACTED)
> >
> >COMMENT: When contacted on Oct 14th, CDC stated, "...we are not in a
> position
> >to comment on this..."
> >
> >One question is: can the anthrax spores or smallpox virus withstand
> the
> >"cooking" necessary to either smoke or inject?
> >
> >What about the distribution network--touching, packaging, selling?
> >
> >What about law enforcement-searching, seizing, handling?
>
> Tony Bartoletti 925-422-3881 <azb@llnl.gov>
> Information Operations, Warfare and Assurance Center
> Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
> Livermore, CA 94551-9900

http://personals.yahoo.com

Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yQix2C/33_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM