RE: [iwar] Clash of interests

From: Ian Carter (saladin@alltel.net)
Date: 2001-10-15 23:57:05

To: <iwar@yahoogroups.com>
From: "Ian Carter" <saladin@alltel.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 02:57:05 -0400
Subject: RE: [iwar] Clash of interests

> I think the article in question (by S.A. Abidi) seeks to go beyond a mere
> tallying of point-like events, attacks, etc.  It is not simply
> "the USA is
> bad", or that no other nation has done bad things to the US.
> Rather, it is
> that the ramifications of super-power policies, throughout
> history, tend to
> exhibit a large degree of indifference, if not hostility, to the
> plight of
> those whose resources are seen as "vital interest" to a given superpower.

So true,,
and despite what problems they caused I now thank the Romans for the
straight roads in the UK and the invention of the sewage system...    :-)

> The U.S. has a great task ahead of it, if it is to convey to the rest of
> the world that we do not ascribe to a naked "might makes right"
> philosophy.  I happen to believe that the majority of Americans do not
> support such a philosophy, but the translation of a people's will into
> geopolitical endeavors is rarely a straightforward process.

And so do they that support the US in the aim of defeating terrorism - which
without that support the US is not the "might makes right".

To go a little further,, and not to scare anyone; but the US has not yet
experienced continued Terrorism on the homeland.. Car Bomb after Car Bomb,,
Knee Cap the local mouth piece,, Hit a chain store just for the sake of it,,
Terrorize one town with little nail bombs then move to the next town...

This is Terrorism (or the start as I couldn't be bothered to write more -
and this list hits an open source).

> I take the gist of the article to say that as a system of people become a
> powerful and largely unchallenged empire, the comforted masses tend to
> become dangerously detached from the specifics of worldwide activities
> undertaken in their name.

Bullshit baffles brains so I heard.
But I too get the gist.

> I would bet that since September 11, the number of Americans who can name
> the countries bordering Afganistan has risen 10,000 percent.  Similarly,
> the amount of education regarding the histories of this region, and many
> related conflicts, is leaping by similar magnitudes.

I don't gamble,, but if I did I would not bet against your above.

> Perhaps if such
> attention were paid to global issues as a matter of course, we
> would all be better off.

Should we start by establishing who has been actively attempting to combat
terrorism prior to the USA that I've not seen mentioned here?

Dare we say US (citizen) funding has gone direct to Terrorism?

I agree with everything you have said Tony but am dismayed at the fact that
my friends and work colleagues have been seriously hurt!,, 'possibly' as a
result of American persons throwing money over to Ireland.

("possibly" said in a friendly knowing way,, and realizing ((hoping)) that's
in the past as the Romans were).

Phew!!! That was a bit deep!!!

Sorry guys,,

Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/UnN2wB/m5_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM