RE: [iwar] Clash of interests

From: Tony Bartoletti (azb@llnl.gov)
Date: 2001-10-15 12:13:38

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: Tony Bartoletti <azb@llnl.gov>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 12:13:38 -0700
Subject: RE: [iwar] Clash of interests

I think the article in question (by S.A. Abidi) seeks to go beyond a mere
tallying of point-like events, attacks, etc.  It is not simply "the USA is
bad", or that no other nation has done bad things to the US.  Rather, it is
that the ramifications of super-power policies, throughout history, tend to
exhibit a large degree of indifference, if not hostility, to the plight of
those whose resources are seen as "vital interest" to a given superpower.

The U.S. has a great task ahead of it, if it is to convey to the rest of
the world that we do not ascribe to a naked "might makes right"
philosophy.  I happen to believe that the majority of Americans do not
support such a philosophy, but the translation of a people's will into
geopolitical endeavors is rarely a straightforward process.

I take the gist of the article to say that as a system of people become a
powerful and largely unchallenged empire, the comforted masses tend to
become dangerously detached from the specifics of worldwide activities
undertaken in their name.

I would bet that since September 11, the number of Americans who can name
the countries bordering Afganistan has risen 10,000 percent.  Similarly,
the amount of education regarding the histories of this region, and many
related conflicts, is leaping by similar magnitudes.  Perhaps if such
attention were paid to global issues as a matter of course, we would all be
better off.

____tony____

At 07:46 AM 10/15/01 -0500, you wrote:

>Well, now isn't that an interesting and quite selective, not to mention
>naive, view of things. No mention of all the bombing attacks against the
>west coast of the USA by the Empire of Japan during WWII, for starters.
>Was there a point to this particular diatribe beyond "the USA is bad/we
>should return to the 50's"?

Tony Bartoletti 925-422-3881 <azb@llnl.gov>
Information Operations, Warfare and Assurance Center
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Livermore, CA 94551-9900