Re: [iwar] [fc:teve.Emerson.is.a."Jewish.Fanatic".(Propaganda.countering.his.repor ting)]

From: Tony Bartoletti (azb@llnl.gov)
Date: 2001-10-16 18:03:16

To: azb@home.com
From: Tony Bartoletti <azb@llnl.gov>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 18:03:16 -0700
Subject: Re: [iwar] [fc:teve.Emerson.is.a."Jewish.Fanatic".(Propaganda.countering.his.repor ting)]

Who knows what Steve Emerson's affiliations are?  More to the point, he's just
been wrong too many times to be considered reliable.  The way he's been wrong
does indicate a certain bias, which needs to be considered with -any- source.
MW

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, Fred Cohen wrote:

 > [MK Note: The desperation of those attempting to white wash terrorism
 > is clearly displayed by this ad hominum attack on Steve Emerson. Steve
 > is a good investigative journalist whose views are disturbing to
 > Islamic apologists due to his truthful and insightful contents.
 > Radical Islamic groups such as CAIR has attempted unsuccessfully for
 > many years to silence him with false and misleading statements. ]
 >                      [AsharqAlawsatOct16,01.jpg]
 >
 >                       Tuesday, October 16, 2001
 >               Steven Emerson out to wreck Arab-US ties
 >        By Jamal Khashoggi, Asharq Alawsat, Jedda, Saudi Arabia
 >
 >  JEDDAH, 16 October — If the American administration has indeed given
 > Steven Emerson the authority to identify terrorists and their
 > supporters in Arab countries, there can be no doubt that it will
 > worsen relations between the United States and the Arab and Islamic
 > world.
 > The man is a Jewish fanatic. He does nothing to hide either his enmity
 > toward Muslims or his anti-Islam smear campaign. He is the type of a
 > man who coolly tells people who know nothing about Islam that "Muslims
 > wear a red headcover because they have a bloody mentality."
 > He told this to the American media when he produced a documentary on
 > "Jihad in America," which was transmitted and financed by a cultural
 > station supported by the US government and funded by donations, not
 > advertising. The program drew strong protest from Muslims both within
 > and outside the United States for its totally negative portrayal of
 > Islam and Muslims, without limiting the criticism to his alleged
 > culprits.
 > Emerson’s credibility was questioned soon after the Oklahoma bombing,
 > as he appeared on television to say that Muslims were behind it. He
 > was giving details of the crime at a time when the investigations were
 > in the initial stages. The whole hue and cry against Muslims suddenly
 > stopped, however, when it was announced that an American fanatic had
 > been responsible.
 > He, nevertheless, continued to collect information on Islamists with
 > the support of a number of pro-Israeli Congressmen and special
 > Congress panels and American research centers. He also presented
 > studies and analyses on "the danger posed by Islam."
 > With the Sept. 11 terror attacks, Emerson is back in the limelight
 > again. He introduces himself as an expert on terrorism and has close
 > relations with officials in the American administration.
 > This shows that he was behind some of the information which the US
 > Treasury Department used to prepare a list of 39 individuals and
 > groups who it is alleged are linked to Osama Bin Laden and his
 > Al-Qaeda organization.
 > The new list was not based on strict criteria, unlike the previous
 > list which was limited to those individuals and organizations actually
 > linked with Al-Qaeda — including those who appeared with Bin Laden or
> [...]

Information Operations, Warfare and Assurance Center
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Livermore, CA 94551-9900

Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yQix2C/33_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM