[iwar] [fc:Congress.to.adjourn.following.more.anthrax.cases]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-17 18:25:57

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 18:25:57 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Congress.to.adjourn.following.more.anthrax.cases]

Congress to adjourn following more anthrax cases
By FT.com staff
Published: October 17 2001 15:51 | Last Updated: October 17 2001 17:22

The US Congress will close for several days for a security sweep after
more than 20 Senate employees tested positive for exposure to anthrax,
and spores of the disease were found in the ventilation system and on
packages sent to the Senate, Dennis Hastert, the Republican speaker,
said on Wednesday.

Agencies also reported that anthrax spores were detected in the offices
of George Pataki, New York governor.  Samples taken on Monday from a
room used by state police security in Mr Pataki's offices in midtown
Manhattan tested positive for the disease on Wednesday.

The Capitol complex, which houses the Senate and the House of
Representatives, will close at the end of business on Wednesday and
reopen next Tuesday, Mr Hastert said.

"We need to make sure that our environment is safe," Mr Hastert told
reporters.  "It's not our intent to close up shop."

More than 20 employees at the offices of Tom Daschle, Senate majority
leader, are believed to have tested positive for exposure to anthrax.
Anthrax was discovered in mail sent to Mr Daschle on Monday.

Fears of widespread anthrax attacks increased this week after new cases
emerged.  On Monday, ABC News confirmed that the child of an ABC news
producer had tested positive for exposure to anthrax.  The boy was in
the ABC offices in New York on September 28 and shortly thereafter
exhibited symptoms of the disease.

Officials also confirmed on Monday that a second person from a Florida
media outlet has contracted the inhaled form of anthrax.  Robert
Stevens, a photo editor at American Media, died on October 5 after being
infected with the disease.