[iwar] [fc:Met.seized.'Bin.Laden.letters']

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-18 08:40:53

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 08:40:53 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Met.seized.'Bin.Laden.letters']

                   Met seized 'Bin Laden letters'
                           This is London
                      Oct. 18, 2001[46c820.jpg]
                          by Harriet Arkell

 Osama bin Laden ordered supporters in London to arm themselves with
weapons and "destroy" Americans in a series of letters seized by
Metropolitan Police three years ago.

The correspondence was discovered in an Islamic fundamentalist base in
Kilburn and in an Islamic militant's home in Camden during an
investigation to find any of the terrorist's followers in Britain who
may have been involved in the bombings of the US embassies in Tanzania
and Kenya.

Published in an Italian newspaper, the letters are believed to have
been written by Bin Laden himself and show how he has been plotting
attacks on Americans for at least five years.

In the letters Bin Laden tells members of al Qaeda to drive out US
forces from Saudi Arabia and the Gulf and "destroy the intruders until
their defeat". He urges them to amass chemical and nuclear weapons,
pays tribute to the Taliban's support, and boasts of the Americans'
inability to find him in his "secure base" in the Hindu Kush.

One letter, written in August 1996, says: "It is necessary to
concentrate our efforts to kill, fight, create traps, to destroy the
intruders until their defeat ... Our terrorism against you who occupy
our land in arms is our duty. You are like a serpent that enters a
man's house and then the man kills it."

Another letter, dated April 1998, says: "The fact that the ... Taliban
offered aid to Osama bin Laden has saved them from the accusation of
being agents of America".

A letter the following month says "in reality the true enemies are the
Christian and Jewish allies led by the US who occupy Saudi Arabia, and
Israel, which violates our holy places ... We invite Muslim brothers
to imitate Pakistan ... [to possess] nuclear, chemical and biological
weapons..."

The four letters were used as evidence at a court hearing this week in
Turin involving a suspected Bin Laden terrorist, Ibrahim Mahmdouh
Ellaban.

Ellaban was arrested as a result of the Scotland Yard investigation
after detectives found references to him in an address book owned by a
terrorist suspect in London. Police also seized 1,350 documents in
London offices used by three men suspected of being involved in the
embassy attacks. Khalid al-Fawwaz, Adel Abdul Bary and Ibrahim Hussein
Eidarous were arrested in 1998 and are fighting extradition to the US.

The lawyer of one of the men said he did not believe the letters were
written by Bin Laden. Akhtar Raja said they were inconsistent with
other Bin Laden documents and he was "very, very sceptical" they were
by him.

© Associated Newspapers Ltd., 18 October 2001
Terms and Conditions
This Is London