[iwar] [fc:Infamous.Hacker.Becomes.CIA.Agent?]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-18 09:51:21

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 09:51:21 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Infamous.Hacker.Becomes.CIA.Agent?]

Infamous Hacker Becomes CIA Agent?

By David M. Ewalt, InformationWeek
Oct 17, 2001 (12:00 AM)

Notorious computer hacker Kevin Mitnick has found himself a new gig, and
the irony is so thick you could cut it with a knife: He'll be playing a
CIA computer expert on an upcoming episode of ABC's spy thriller
"Alias."

"It's just hilarious, the idea of playing a CIA agent with my history,"
says Mitnick.  "I lived under aliases for years when I was a fugitive."
Mitnick went underground for three years in the 1990s after being
accused of breaking into the computer systems of several corporations,
including Sun Microsystems Inc.  and Motorola Inc.  The law caught up
with him in 1995, and he spent almost five years in prison.  While in
jail, his case became a cause celebre, as supporters complained that he
was unfairly demonized and the government insisted he was a dangerous
criminal.

Mitnick will appear in one scene of the Oct.  28 episode of "Alias,"
playing a CIA agent who has hacked into the network of evil organization
SD-6.  While filming the scene, Mitnick had to act with prop computers,
since the terms of his supervised release prohibit him from possessing
or using any kind of computer hardware.

"I hadn't acted before, and I thought it was a blast," says Mitnick.
He's even considering pursuing more acting jobs in the future,
particularly if they're in the same sort of "Mission Impossible" genre.
His only complaint with the experience: The show's producers made him
cut his long hair to a more conservative Fed-agent buzz cut.

Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yQix2C/33_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM