Re: [iwar] tb:Tony.Calls.For.Enhanced.Oversight

From: e.r. (fastflyer28@yahoo.com)
Date: 2001-10-18 19:09:24

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: "e.r." <fastflyer28@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 19:09:24 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [iwar] tb:Tony.Calls.For.Enhanced.Oversight

Tony- If gov. Jim Gilmore(R-VA) is behind, no need to worry-much.  He
is brain dead when it comes to cyber "stuff", but out of small mind
comes the outrageous.
--- Tony Bartoletti <azb@llnl.gov> wrote:
> At 08:53 AM 10/18/01 -0700, you wrote:
> >Governor Calls for 'Cyber Court'
> >By Declan McCullagh, Wired News, 10/18/2001 <a
>
>href="http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,47676,00.html">http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,47676,00.html>
> >
> >WASHINGTON -- Malicious hackers, look out.
> >A government anti-terrorism commission will recommend that Congress
> >create a shadowy court to oversee investigations of suspected
> computer
> >intruders.
>
> [snip]
>
> >Congress created the FISA court in 1978 to oversee foreign
> intelligence
> >investigations that were too sensitive to take through the normal
> >process. The FISA judges review the Justice Department's requests
> and,
> >with the exception of one or two cases, have always approved them.
> >Because the FISA court meets in secret, and its orders are sealed,
> >subjects are often unaware they're under surveillance.
>
> I'm very curious about this "orders are sealed" part.
>
> Clearly, the law must grant *some* provision of oversight, sunset, or
> other
> mechanism that forces these records and orders into the light.
>
> If we are to have secret, closed-door FISA proceedings, and (now)
> further
> expansion of secret surveillance provisions, there really needs to be
> an
> independent oversight agency created, whose sole purpose and mandate
> is to
> act as a national repository for all such proceedings and findings,
> vested
> with the power to disclose such materials according to reasonable
> standards.
>
> When (not if) it turns out that "rogue elements" of certain agencies
> abuse
> these expanded powers, they must understand that such abuses will be
> revealed "within their own lifetimes", and not be able to disappear
> forever
> into a black hole.
>
> To ensure that conflict of interest does not taint such measures, the
>
> oversight agency must be independent both of the agency which sought
> engage a covert operation, and any court that approved such an
> operation.
>
> If, as many now lament, we live in "different times", and must
> acquiesce to
> some abridgement of fundamental individual liberties in the name of
> security, than so must the government acquiesce to additional
> measures of
> independent oversight, with teeth.

> Tony Bartoletti 925-422-3881 <azb@llnl.gov>
> Information Operations, Warfare and Assurance Center
> Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
> Livermore, CA 94551-9900

http://personals.yahoo.com

Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yQix2C/33_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM