[iwar] [fc:Y2K.prep.helped.terror.response]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-19 07:30:04

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 07:30:04 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Y2K.prep.helped.terror.response]

Y2K prep helped terror response

By Judi Hasson, Federal Computer Week, 10/19/2001

If the federal government had not upgraded its critical systems for the
Year 2000, the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11 could have been far worse,
Sen. Robert Bennett (R-Utah) told a gathering of experts Oct. 18.

Bennett said the work done to eliminate Year 2000 date-change bugs and
upgrade computer systems helped make rescue efforts swift after the
worst terrorist attacks in U.S. history.

"If we had not done what we did for Y2K, we would not have been capable
of responding [Sept. 11]," Bennett said at a seminar on strengthening
homeland cyberdefense.

For example, he said, while working to eradicate the millennium bug, "We
found out that if you had a 386 [computer] at the Defense Department,
you had a hot item."

The federal government dismantled its Year 2000 command center in
Washington, D.C., after Jan. 1, 2000, but New York City kept its in
place. Officials were able to tap its resources when two passenger jets
hit the World Trade Center, Bennett told a briefing of the Information
Technology Association of America and the Center for Strategic and
International Studies.

When a bomb exploded in the garage beneath the World Trade Center in
1993, it "didn't kill enough people," Bennett said, and that "lulled us"
into thinking it wouldn't happen again.

Now, he said, it's important to think strategically and share
information among private companies and government.

Bennett is sponsoring the Critical Infrastructure Information Security
Act that would enable companies to share information with the government
and not be subject to disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act.

Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/UnN2wB/m5_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM