Re: [iwar] tb:Tony.Calls.For.Enhanced.Oversight

From: Tony Bartoletti (azb@llnl.gov)
Date: 2001-10-19 11:06:56

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: Tony Bartoletti <azb@llnl.gov>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 11:06:56 -0700
Subject: Re: [iwar] tb:Tony.Calls.For.Enhanced.Oversight

At 09:40 AM 10/19/01 -0700, you wrote:
>Tony- In theory, the PFIAB and the Supreme Court and in really nasty
>situations, HPSCI and SSCI do the job.  The Justice Dept has an
>intelligence "referee" to legally kick butts if the intel court is
>abused, or uses its power in an abusive manner.

PFAIB?  HPSCI?  SSCI?  Feel free to be more verbose.  How do these stand up
to "independent of the requesting and granting authorities?"

I reiterate my concern.  Whatever these functions are, they have existed
for years, I suppose.  So have many laws that allow conditioned
surveillance.  If sweeping new legislation will expand surveillance powers,
then where are the sweeping new checks and balances?

Contrary to the opinion held by many, the Internet is not simply a
telephone with a graphical user interface.  If pen-trap reveals I dialed a
particular phone number, it may indicate to whom I spoke, but does not
functionally enable one to retrieve the content of my conversation.

In contrast, when I click on a link to download the content at

    www.site/that-topic/that-message.html

what part of this address corresponds to "pen-trap" information?  The
web-site address?  The topic directory?  Or the full path to the
content?  Worse still, if I include search terms in my http request, one
could argue that the request itself is far more revealing of my motives
than the content that may be retrieved.  This turns pen-trap on its head.

Tony Bartoletti 925-422-3881 <azb@llnl.gov>
Information Operations, Warfare and Assurance Center
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Livermore, CA 94551-9900

Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yQix2C/33_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM