Re: [iwar] [fc:Pakistan.Assessment.2001]

From: e.r. (fastflyer28@yahoo.com)
Date: 2001-10-21 13:10:31

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: "e.r." <fastflyer28@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 13:10:31 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [iwar] [fc:Pakistan.Assessment.2001]

I am not so sure that I agree with the assessment that Islamic
militants have Pakistan under their thumb.  Gen. Musharif still has a
military, albeit primarily interested in Kashmir. Pakistan's leadership
over the last ten years made a costly error when they allowed the
Taliban to set up religious schools in thier nation.  There have been
riots in Quetta, Pakistan since our operations in Afganistan began. The
Taliban and very rad Islamics who call their fight-world trade center
and the Pentagon included-a religious war are selling all of us
propaganda under the guise of false prophesey.  I do not recall, when I
read the Koran-that Islam smiles upon the sensless killing of
innocents.
The attacks of 11 Sept were carried out by cowards talked in to doing
ill by Al Queda.  Mr. Bin Laden would never get his hands that dirty.
So, is Pakistan in a squeeze? Yes, but a good part of it the
governments own creation. To quote a former cabinet offical- the snakes
have grown and there are no dragons in our midst. That is Al Queda and
the Taliban's story. I would imagine that if there is too much heat in
the kitchen  for Gen. Musharif, he will kick all of the US troops based
in Pakistan out. It would be a knee-jerk reaction on his part, however.
 If we do not push the Taliban down hard enough, they will continue to
"franchise" Pakistan.  The Taliban are only about control of new real
estate and with it, more people.Their interpretation of the Koran(90
degree out from reality) allows them with the only entre` they need.
What a mess.