[iwar] [fc:US.'Lacks.Credible.Political.Agenda']

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-22 07:42:34

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 07:42:34 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:US.'Lacks.Credible.Political.Agenda']

London Times
October 22, 2001
US 'Lacks Credible Political Agenda'
By Stephen Farrell and Zahid Hussain in Islamabad
A Senior Pakistani official last night accused the United States of failing
to articulate a clear policy for the future of Afghanistan.
The criticism follows growing discontent among United Nations officials,
exiled Afghan commanders and aides to the former Afghan monarch, King Zahir
Shah, at what they perceive to be a military campaign running far ahead of
US and UN political initiatives.
Many fear that the lack of a credible alternative to the Taleban will stop
Taleban commanders and tribal leaders from defecting, and repeat the mistake
of 1992 when the Soviet-backed regime of President Najibullah collapsed into
a vacuum quickly filled by four years of Mujahidin infighting, banditry and
anarchy.
"It is very clear that the US political strategy is lagging dangerously
behind the military strategy," said one senior Islamabad official, who
refused to be named. "About two weeks after September 11 we began to say to
Washington that we need to at least start thinking together about what
everybody wants to see happen in Afghanistan.
"The sense that we get is that the political and the military has not gelled
yet. The military isn't just far ahead of the political, they are not
generally consistent with each other at the moment."
The official acknowledged that the US had a very difficult task putting
together a worldwide coalition and launching a ground attack campaign in
unfamiliar terrain surrounded by hostile forces.
He also conceded that any pressure from Pakistan could be wrongly
misconstrued as an attempt to impose its own Pashtun solution on
Afghanistan, which would be greeted with horror by Northern Alliance leaders
suspicious of Islamabad and all its works. But the source reluctantly
concluded that, after more than a month of high-level contacts, the talks
last week between President Musharraf and Colin Powell, US Secretary of
State, at which they agreed on the need for a broad-based government, were
the "first real ones" on how to proceed on a "diplomatic political track
trying to create something that is not seen by the Afghans as an imposition
from outside, because the moment they see that, we know the history of what
happens".
The official said it was proving hard for the US to rekindle its involvement
in the region, which fell away sharply upon the collapse of the
Soviet-backed regime. Calls for a peacekeeping force or administration in
Kabul have been greeted with caution at the UN, where Lakhdar Brahimi, the
experienced envoy to Afghanistan last week pointed to the difficulties in a
country traditionally hostile to a foreign presence, "especially in military
uniforms". Frustration at the apparent delay in an international political
initiative was voiced yesterday by Haji Muhammad Zeman, one of the former
Mujahidin commanders who fought the Soviet occupation and now live in exile
in Pakistan after being driven out by the Taleban in the mid-1990s.
"Afghanistan needs - and I need - United Nations peacekeeping forces to come
and bring peace to Afghanistan," he said. "If the UN refuses to send
peacekeeping troops and peace does not come to Afghanistan, the war will
spread. Other countries will also not be at peace. There will be more
troubles like on September 11."
Hedayat Arsala, envoy of the exiled King Zahir Shah, highlighted the
desirability of a peacekeeping framework. "People . . . want to forget the
past," he said. "They are looking for an alternative. Without an
alternative, we don't see any chance of the Taleban Government collapsing."

Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/UnN2wB/m5_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM