RE: [iwar] [fc:Pakistan.Assessment.2001]

From: Leo, Ross (Ross.Leo@csoconline.com)
Date: 2001-10-22 13:38:00

To: "'iwar@yahoogroups.com'" <iwar@yahoogroups.com>
From: "Leo, Ross" <Ross.Leo@csoconline.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 15:38:00 -0500
Subject: RE: [iwar] [fc:Pakistan.Assessment.2001]

Forgive my preaching to the choir, but...I realize that the most recent
notes have little to do with the assessment itself (it most definitely was
not mine), but this is now silly.  This is not meant to be insulting, and
apologies in advance if it seems so.

Why are perceptions biased?  Per se:  perception is the becoming aware or
gaining knowledge of a thing (physical or psychological) through direct
sensory input - through the brain or the senses.  Perceptions are usually
biased the act of perception includes a comprehension/interpretation process
that further involves the personal context of the individual doing the
perceiving.  If a human could perceive and interpret in a strictly objective
fashion, perceptions would by definition be unbiased.  But since every human
being has a unique context that is made up of experience, knowledge,
intelligence (IQ type), etc., such purely objective "perceptions" are not
possible.   To claim the contrary is intellectual arrogance.

Accurate information and exhaustive analysis play a role, but both of these
can be biased as well.  "Accuracy" depends on the source on their particular
context.  Truly accurate information is nothing more than facts presented
within a framework of commonly agreed-to "rules".   "Exhaustive" is
relative, and "analysis" depends on the analyst's context, tools, subject
matter background, and forensic skills.

Perceptions are necessarily biased - even yours concerning Ozair's reply.  A
statement of perception is little different than the offering of opinion.

If the real question (as I suspect it probably is...) is "who is the source
of this assessment and can they be trusted", the ferreting out of that
largely depends on whether they want you to know.  If Fred knows, and knows
the author does not want overt attribution, I am quite certain Fred will
maintain strict confidentiality of source (as he should).  Regardless, if
you want to know if you can trust the information, do your own homework to
validate the information, and forget the source.  The validation process
will demonstrate the integrity (or lack thereof) of the information.

Then you will be free to have your own perceptions, biased or otherwise.

Ross A. Leo