[iwar] [fc:US.Secret.Service.says.Nation.needs.more.online.Cyberwarriors]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-22 22:04:34

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 22:04:34 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:US.Secret.Service.says.Nation.needs.more.online.Cyberwarriors]

US Secret Service says Nation needs more online Cyberwarriors
Mark Watson, Security News Portal, 10/22/2001

Stephen T. Colo, the U.S. Secret Service's deputy assistant director and
chief information officer, said his office helped the White House Web
site dodge the Code Red virus bullet in July. "We must now prepare for
the possibility of a cyberthreat not only to the president, but to the
nation as a whole," Colo told the audience of the Institute for Managing
Emerging Technology's (IMET) Visions seminar.
Colo's understanding of the culture of the Secret Service has helped him
in his new role. Colo understands the needs and abilities of both
special agents and technicians, and he can act as a translator. Since
becoming CIO, Colo has pushed to bring more special agents into the
information technology section so they can later serve as IT "champions"
in the field...continued.

A man who interviewed John W. Hinckley Jr. shortly after he shot
then-President Ronald Reagan talked Friday about a different kind of
violence - past, present and future cyberbattles.
As part of the University of Memphis, IMET seeks to help people
understand issues relating to emerging technology in areas such as
information systems, electronic commerce, engineering, logistics and
medicine.
In recent months, pro-Palestinian groups have proposed a "cyber-Jihad"
against Israel, and Israeli groups have responded in kind, Colo said.
Similarly, Pakistanis and Indians have launched computer attacks against
each other over Kashmir.

A group of Romanian hackers attempted to extort money from U.S. credit
card companies by placing clients' card numbers on the Internet unless
they were paid off, Colo said.
"They claim the payment is for computer expertise in showing the flaws
in the (companies') system," Colo said. "In comparison . . . Al Capone
was a small-time hoodlum."
This same group had penetrated NASA and the Departments of Health and
Human Services, Energy and Commerce. Former Iron Curtain countries have
a large number of tech-savvy, underemployed people who try to make money
or advance their political agendas by using the Internet in criminal
ways, he said.
In the audience, Brian Burns, who works on information technology
security architecture at International Paper, said his company is
spending more resources on this subject since Sept. 11.
"It's fast become a more visible area in the company," Burns said. "It's
getting a lot more attention."
Colo said, "One of the major problems in combating cyberterrorism is
there are not enough computer-literate law enforcement agents."
The Secret Service's new Electronic Crime Special Agent Program is
designed to help compensate for the lack of tech-savvy agents.
Born in New Jersey, Colo came to the Secret Service after working as a
police officer in the District of Columbia. He worked in the protection
details of former presidents Ronald Reagan and George Bush.
Colo hesitated to accept the position of chief information officer in
1998, because his background is in law enforcement, not technology.
"I'm probably the only CIO who carries a gun," he joked. "My excuse is
that I have more than 3,500 armed customers, and I want to be on an
equal footing."
But Colo's understanding of the culture of the Secret Service has helped
him in his new role. Colo understands the needs and abilities of both
special agents and technicians, and he can act as a translator. Since
becoming CIO, Colo has pushed to bring more special agents into the
information technology section so they can later serve as IT "champions"
in the field.

The destruction of the World Trade Center, including the Secret
Service's main New York office, brought home the need to beef up the
agency's technical infrastructure to minimize long-term damage from an
event at one location. About 250 agents made it out alive, but one was
killed.

"The information we lost in New York was devastating," Colo said. "We
lost a lot of good cases, a lot of hard work, and we let a lot of
criminals go free because we lost the records from there."