RE: [iwar] [fc:Security.Not.in.the.Cards]

From: Leo, Ross (Ross.Leo@csoconline.com)
Date: 2001-10-23 09:14:59

To: "'iwar@yahoogroups.com'" <iwar@yahoogroups.com>
From: "Leo, Ross" <Ross.Leo@csoconline.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 11:14:59 -0500
Subject: RE: [iwar] [fc:Security.Not.in.the.Cards]

These gentlemen may or may not realize it (and would likely dismiss it even
if they did realize it) but they are speaking of the very type of mechanism
that be an enabler for a government to establish the "Big Brother" of
Orwellian creation.  They see these methods they are proposing as ways to
make Americans more secure.  And though I do not have a full transcript of
their comments, surely they must realize that the ways and means they
propose can be just as easily defeated by a clever boots as the current
systems are today by a similarly clever boots.

Their indignant outrage at the attacks on America are certainly echoed by
many (me included), and their proposals would be supported by many in the
hot flash aftermath of the heinous deed.  However... (and I am confident I
am repeating others here) the trading away of liberties in the short term
for the sake of (perceived) improved security and safety at home is
dangerously naive.  Such liberties, once gone, are gone pretty much for
good, and usually cannot be reclaimed without some form of fierce struggle.
Not something I think most Americans would care for on either the front end
(the initial loss) or back end (the struggle to reclaim).

In order for such a system to work, one would have to invest billions of $$
in Oracle installed on Sun platforms running RedHat Linux (or better still,
the NSA's version called SeLinux).  Then the government's person checking
agencies (DSS, DoD, INS, Treasury, FBI et al) would have to do full
background checks on literally everyone in the USA (meaning the borders get
closed until we catch up) to ensure complete validation of identity and
trustability.  Other countries would have to do likewise, or at least supply
the same quality of information to the US to perform this - to fail to do
this means the person coming in...doesn't, and is refused entry at the
border.  All such validated persons would then carry a government issued ID
card, and this would serve as true verification of personhood.

Right (don't forget...this is the planet Earth).

Everything I described can be faked, and is today.  This practice of
fraudulent identity creation is a virtual science and a very big business in
Nigeria today, and elsewhere.  It goes on to no small degree in the US.  Our
identity-verification agencies have amazingly huge gaps in their processes,
big enough for a 767 to fly through.  Our Intelligence Community has been
emasculated and dismantled over the recent decades.   In other words -
except for the promise of a big database system and the hardware to run it,
the mechanisms don't exist to do this.  Nor will they in the near future -
too much rebuilding and paradigm shifting needed before that happens.  The
profession of identity fakery will not go away either - its will simply
become more creative and more insidious.

Mr. Ellison and Mr. McNealy should focus on their companies, their families,
and the quality and safety of the lives entrusted to them as corporate and
family leaders.  They are not the saviours of America and their proposed
methods for helping out will not solve anything we want solved.  It would
also do for them to remember that they are not experts in security or
intelligence, and they should leave these to the professionals.

Ross A. Leo, CISSP, CBCP