Re: [iwar] [fc:Pakistan.Assessment.2001]

From: Tony Bartoletti (azb@llnl.gov)
Date: 2001-10-23 11:26:24

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: Tony Bartoletti <azb@llnl.gov>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 11:26:24 -0700
Subject: Re: [iwar] [fc:Pakistan.Assessment.2001]

Hi Fred,

I was not intending to demand attribution, per se.  Only curious as to
whether the lack of it was intentional or an oversight.

The discussion it has promoted indicates how important we hold attribution
in making assessments (rightly or wrongly).  I believe that, overall, we
realize that context is as informational as content.  Each helps define the
other, and so the "one hand clapping" will naturally cause one to give pause.

Especially in this moderated list, it occurs to me how many nuances of
"non-attribution" may exist.

Some posts might contain the disclaimer "attribution withheld at the
request of the source", another might simply claim "attribution withheld
intentionally", giving no indication of the basis for the decision be it
source or moderator, and finally, as in the posting in question, the
article simply appears without attribution and with no statement addressing
that issue.

Each form of non-attribution is different, in subtle ways.

____tony____

At 03:13 PM 10/22/01 -0700, you wrote:
>I would not characterize this article in the way you did.  I forwarded
>it, as I forward allmost everything I send to this list, because I think
>it is relevant to the subject at hand.  the fact that it brought out so
>much discussion means - to me - that it was a really god one to forward.
>
>As to attribution, I just can't help you on it by any characterization.
>As you saw from one list member, it was considered accurate from one
>list member's viewpoint, perhaps a member who knows, and perhaps one
>that doesn't.
>
>I would till you this.  I think the assessment is worth taking
>seriously, but this, as always, means you should try to confirm or
>refute it with your own sources.
>
>FC

Tony Bartoletti 925-422-3881 <azb@llnl.gov>
Information Operations, Warfare and Assurance Center
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Livermore, CA 94551-9900

Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yQix2C/33_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM