[iwar] [fc:Arab.League.Leader.Condemns.Bin.Laden]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-24 10:26:03

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 10:26:03 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Arab.League.Leader.Condemns.Bin.Laden]

Washington Times
October 24, 2001
Arab League Leader Condemns Bin Laden
By Ben Barber, The Washington Times
The head of the Arab League, Amr Moussa, yesterday bitterly condemned Osama
bin Laden but warned of an "anti-Islam campaign" since the Sept. 11 attacks
on America.
"Osama bin Laden does not represent the Arabs and Muslims," Mr. Moussa said.
"He does not speak on their behalf. He is a man with his own policy that is
not the Arab or Muslim policy."
The secretary general of the 22-nation Arab League, in Washington to meet
with members of the Arab community and Bush administration officials, said
he was "disturbed" by reports he received from Arab Americans of anti-Muslim
incidents since the attacks.
"We are very satisfied with what [President] Bush and [Secretary of State
Colin L.] Powell did to quell the campaign."
Mr. Moussa said Arab countries "consider America as one of our best friends
- we want to have the best of relations with America."
"What is poisoning the relationship is Israel's policy towards the Arabs."
Mr. Moussa also complained about anti-Islamic remarks made recently in
Europe and America, citing Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi's
rejection of Islam as inferior to Western civilization.
A former Egyptian foreign minister, he said that Arab countries remain
opposed to any U.S. attack on an Arab country as part of the war on
terrorism - a move suggested by some Bush administration hard-liners after
the bin Laden campaign concludes.
"If any Arab country is found to be terrorist, we would mobilize to talk to
the Arab country and move ahead" in finding a solution, Mr. Moussa said.

Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/UnN2wB/m5_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM