[iwar] [NewsBits] NewsBits - 10/24/01 (fwd)

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-24 18:02:38

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 18:02:38 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [NewsBits] NewsBits - 10/24/01 (fwd)

October 24, 2001

Taliban opposition site a casualty of war A Web site operated by
opponents of Afghanistan's Taliban regime will likely remain offline for
at least another month after hackers took it out of commission in an
apparent case of mistaken identity.  Visitors sent about 10,000 hate
messages soon after the Sept.  11 terrorism strikes, and hackers brought
down the ``AfghanGovernment.org'' site within days.
http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/news/tech/011931.htm

Hacking Incident Closes Security News Site The day before Marquis Grove
decided to shutter his popular computer security news site, the operator
of SecurityNewsPortal.com was brimming with energy about his labor of
love.  "I have a large viewership and I feel I owe them a responsibility
to be there and keep slamming out the freshest news that I can to keep
them amused and informed," said Grove in an e-mail interview Monday.
http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/171478.html

Bin Laden worm wriggling in South Korea A computer virus named after
Osama bin Laden, the Saudi-born fugitive accused of masterminding the
attacks on the United States, has surfaced in South Korea, a local
antivirus software maker said Wednesday.  "We received a report from a
personal computer user who got an e-mail containing the virus, "Jin
Yoon-jung of antivirus company Ahnlab told Reuters.  "His computer was
not infected, as he reported it to us without opening the e-mail."
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-7641111.html

'Bin Laden' Worm Targets ICQ, Outlook Users
http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/171467.html
http://www.msnbc.com/news/647159.asp

Call for industry to take part in homeland defense.  Office of Homeland
Security director Tom Ridge today called on the IT industry to use their
products and expertise to support homeland defense efforts.  Rep.  Curt
Weldon, who chairs the procurement subcommittee of the House Armed
Services Committee, echoed Ridge's call while decrying the information
stovepipes among intelligence agencies.
http://www.gcn.com/vol1_no1/daily-updates/17366-1.html

Sharing key to combating threats As awareness about the importance of
sharing information about cyber and physical threats grows following the
Sept.  11 terrorist attacks, the General Accounting Office last week
released a report on the best practices of leading organizations in the
public and private sectors.
http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2001/1022/web-gao-10-24-01.asp

FCC Chairman Responds To Senator Over Wireless Flap Facing the annoyance
of lawmakers and wireless companies over a controversial spectrum
auction decision, FCC Chairman Michael Powell Tuesday sent a letter to a
powerful Senate Committee chairman defending his agency's moves.
http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/171479.html

E-gov won't get left behind E-government projects will not be left
behind in budget debates as priorities and funding concerns turn toward
homeland security, according to the Bush administration's top technology
official.
http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2001/1022/web-forman-10-24-01.asp

Filter Plan Leaks Like a Sieve A Web-rating system touted by Microsoft,
AOL Time Warner and Yahoo as a way to protect children may be far less
useful than its backers have claimed.  The companies predicted at a
press conference Tuesday that parents will be able to configure their
child's Web browser to reject sites that either lack ratings or are
self-labeled as having unacceptable amounts of violence, sex or nudity.

Biometrics: for your eyes only An iris-recognition authentication system
was launched in Australia yesterday - but some experts fear it could
give away personal Information to employers.  The old saying "the eyes
never lie" took on new currency yesterday as Siemens Business Services
launched Australia's first iris-recognition authentication system.
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2097913,00.html

Connecticut to combine all criminal databases Two Connecticut agencies
and the state's judicial branch are making it even more difficult for
criminals to slip through the gaps in society's net.  The Policy and
Management Office, the IT Department and agencies in the judicial branch
cooperated to award Sierra Systems Group Inc.  of Vancouver, British
Columbia, a contract to develop a central offender database.
http://www.gcn.com/vol1_no1/daily-updates/17368-1.html

Could the Net be used to fight bioterrorism? Just when the Internet
seemed down and out stumbling out of lowlife bars, unkempt, penniless
and a blink away from jumping off a bridge iit might save the American
way of life.  The Internet could save us from bioterrorism.  Which would
be good news, considering few people believe anything can save us from
bioterrorism, other than taking up residence inside Biosphere 2 in the
Sonoran Desert.  Anyone know if it's got vacancies?
http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/ccarch/2001/10/24/maney.htm

First, brand all the children Cyber-liberties swept away by tidal wave
of security concerns.  Anthrax, Afghanistan, al-Qaida, Ashcroft and
anti-terrorism legislation.  We aren't even through the first letter of
the geopolitical alphabet before jumping all the way to "S" as in
"screwed" as in what's happening to civil liberties in the online world.
http://www.msnbc.com/news/646793.asp

Security: Not just a technological problem Security is all about knowing
and trusting that someone else is paying attention to matters of safety,
rights, etc., such that we, individually and in the groups that matter,
can focus on living our lives.  Today, the world finds itself feeling
more insecure perhaps than ever before.  Why? Because we don't know
exactly who or what would do us harm, but we have the means to quickly
learn about every single horrific act that happens everywhere.
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2819925,00.html

Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/UnN2wB/m5_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM