[iwar] [fc:Saudi,.UAE.send.strong.signal.of.impending.cut.in.oil.production]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-27 07:42:57

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 07:42:57 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Saudi,.UAE.send.strong.signal.of.impending.cut.in.oil.production]

Saudi, UAE send strong signal of impending cut in oil production

ABU DHABI, Oct 27 (AFP) -

The world's top oil producer, Saudi Arabia, and two other Gulf oil
states sent out Saturday the strongest signal yet that OPEC may cut
production at its next meeting in Vienna on November 13.

Riyadh, Abu Dhabi and independent producer Oman issued a joint
statement clearly in favour of another output cut to boost prices.

"We have already reduced our production three times. I cannot see
what prevents us from doing it again," Saudi Oil Minister Ali
Al-Nuami told reporters at a press conference in the Emirati capital.

Independent oil producer Oman voiced "readiness to cut production"
and to cooperate with OPEC and non-OPEC nations to boost slumping
prices, in the statement.

"The Sultanate of Oman has expressed its readiness to cut production
and to cooperate with the rest of the producing countries from OPEC
and non-OPEC in order to maintain the price band target," said the
statement after a meeting of oil ministers from Oman, Saudi Arabia
and the United Arab Emirates (UAE).

"The ministers noted with great concern the continued deterioration
in crude oil prices to levels unseen since two years," it said.

The falls were "caused by the most recent downward revision in world
oil demand for the the current year as well as next year and the
excess supply and growing commercial stocks as compared to last year."

The statement was released after Nuaimi met UAE Oil Minister Obeid
al-Nasseri and Oman's Mohammad bin Hamad Al-Romhi at a plush seafront
hotel in Abu Dhabi.

The meeting of kingpin Saudi Arabia and the UAE -- both members of
the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) -- with Oman
is part of the cartel's efforts to coordinate with non-OPEC countries
and boost slumping oil prices.

Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/UnN2wB/m5_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM