[iwar] [fc:Military.chief.warns.of.four-year.war.(Just.long.enough.to.get.re-elected?)]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-27 11:10:46

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 11:10:46 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Military.chief.warns.of.four-year.war.(Just.long.enough.to.get.re-elected?)]

SATURDAY OCTOBER 27 2001
Military chief warns of four-year war BY MICHAEL EVANS, DEFENCE EDITOR

BRITISH troops going to war in Afghanistan faced the most complex and difficult
campaign launched "in my lifetime", Britain's top military commander said yesterday.

In a brutally realistic assessment of the prospects of defeating the al-Qaeda terrorists
led by Osama bin Laden, Admiral Sir Michael Boyce, Chief of the Defence Staff, said
that the war could last three or four years.

As the Government announced that 200 Royal Marines of 40 Commando had been chosen
as the first British "overt" troops for action in Afghanistan, Admiral Boyce admitted
that it was going to be "extraordinarily difficult" to achieve the military objectives
unless the Taleban regime in Afghanistan "folded".

He said: "This is the most difficult operation we've undertaken, although not the
most dangerous because we're not facing an enemy like the Iraqi Army."

However, other conflicts, like the Falklands in 1982 and the Gulf War in 1991, had
had identifiable enemies. But this was not the case with the campaign against the
terrorists in Afghanistan.

He likened the war on terrorism to the confrontation with the Soviet Union in the
Cold War which had lasted 50 years. The West had kept up the pressure on the Soviet
Union all that time "and did not blink" and the result was a victory against communism.

He said: "I'm not suggesting this war will go on for 50 years but we're fighting
a concept, not a state . . . and we're having to rewrite the rulebook (to deal with
it). The al-Qaeda organisation is not tangible. You're fighting against this thing
called terrorism."

He added that the coalition's task was made harder because intelligence on the ground
in Afghanistan was limited. "Only 6 per cent of the Afghan population has electricity,
so not many people are using telephones," he said.

This meant that the coalition had to rely on airborne and satellite intelligence-gathering
systems.

The 200 Marines from 40 Commando, who will be backed by a task force of warships,
were "ready now" to mount operations in Afghanistan, Admiral Boyce said. They are
among 21,500 British personnel nearing the end of a tri-Service exercise in Oman.
The 400 other members of 40 Commando would return to Britain but would remain on
24 hours' notice to deploy. A total of 4,200 British military personnel are committed
to the campaign in Afghanistan.

Admiral Boyce said that the Marines, based on board the assault ship HMS Fearless
, would provide "force protection" for special forces troops, perhaps seizing and
holding ground while the SAS and SBS carried out operations.

Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/UnN2wB/m5_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM