[iwar] [fc:Nuclear.safety.of.world.is.at.stake,.Blair.tells.troops]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-27 11:11:53

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 11:11:53 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Nuclear.safety.of.world.is.at.stake,.Blair.tells.troops]

 SATURDAY OCTOBER 27 2001

Nuclear safety of world is at stake, Blair tells troops
BY PHILIP WEBSTER, POLITICAL EDITOR

TONY BLAIR gave a warning yesterday of the ultimate threat of nuclear attack from
Osama bin Laden's terrorist network unless it was destroyed.
Speaking on British Forces Radio as Britain's contribution to the ground conflict
in Afghanistan was being disclosed, Mr Blair said that the campaign was essential
to protect national security and civilised values. It was a fight worth undertaking
because of what was at stake.

"If these terrorists who killed over 6,000 people in America are allowed to carry
on building up their terrorist network, possibly acquiring chemical, biological,
even nuclear weapons of mass destruction, our world will be an insecure, unsafe place
and there will be no corner of the world - particularly not a place like Britain
- that will be untouched by that," he said.

"So we have to carry out the necessary action to close that terrorist network down
and to bring to account those that perpetrated September 11." Mr Blair was speaking
the day after intelligence sources disclosed that bin Laden has acquired nuclear
material to use in his terrorist war against the West.

The sources, quoted by The Times , said that it was believed that he had not yet
secured the capability to mount a nuclear attack, but that was his eventual aim.
Downing Street officials said that obtaining materials did not mean that bin Laden
was able to develop them into bombs.

However, sources admitted that the fear of bin Laden becoming a nuclear threat to
the world lay behind the constant warnings from President Bush and Mr Blair about
the need to stop him before he did more - and possibly worse - damage. Mr Blair said
that committing British forces to the campaign was a "huge responsibility" and he
paid tribute to their "service, courage and bravery".

"Of course it is a huge responsibility that we only take in circumstances where
we believe there is no other alternative. It is a huge responsibility to commit our
Armed Forces but in my view it is justified in circumstances where our people are
at risk," he said.

"From the very time that this terrible act on September 11 took place, when literally
thousands of innocent people were killed, it has been obvious that we have to stop
the terrorist network that perpetrated the attacks. If we don't then our own people
here in Britain are at risk, people around the world are at risk, and there is no
doubt that if this terrorist network isn't stopped it will commit even worse outrages."

The Prime Minister refused to be drawn on the exact nature of any operations in
which British Armed Forces might be involved but said that the objectives remained
the destruction of al-Qaeda and the "removal and disablement" of the Taleban.

"Obviously, to do that, we have achieved a certain amount through airpower. There
will be operations that we can also mount in support of that in Afghanistan," he
said. "The exact nature of those things though, I am afraid I can't discuss."

Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yQix2C/33_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM