[iwar] [fc:Bin.Laden's.sister.implicates.Arab.royals]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-28 12:11:23

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 12:11:23 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Bin.Laden's.sister.implicates.Arab.royals]

Bin Laden's sister implicates Arab royals
Nick Fielding

The sister-in-law of Osama Bin Laden has outraged members of the family after
claiming that they and sections of the Saudi royal family gave financial
backing to the terrorist leader. In the first interview by a member of the
publicity-shy clan, Carmen Bin Laden, who is involved in a protracted divorce
battle with one of Osama's brothers, turned on her relatives, who in turn
strongly denied her allegations. Asked if members of the family had helped
finance the Al-Qaeda leader, she said: "My opinion is yes . . . I think they
would say, 'Okay, this is for Islam.' They would give. For Islam, they would
give." She added: "What I have heard is he has the backing of some of the
royal family. They think the same way. Not all of them, but some of them. You
have to understand, I think in Saudi Arabia Osama Bin Laden has a little
following. And in my opinion, this is what makes him dangerous. Because he
has . . . the backing of a lot of people there." The frank airing of family
affairs was sparked by a televised interview on ABC News with Carmen, who is
married to Osama's brother Yeslam, one of the most senior members of the Bin
Laden family. Now living in Geneva, Carmen, of Swiss-Iranian parents, is
estranged from Yeslam, who has extensive business interests in Switzerland,
where he runs the Saudi Investment Corporation. The couple, who have two
children, split up 11 years ago and she has had little contact with the
family in Saudi Arabia. In the interview, Carmen describes her first meeting
with Osama: "I knew he was religious because he was the only brother who
would refuse to see me [because she was not a traditional Saudi woman]. This
was how Osama was at that time." However, she said she did not hate her
former husband's brother. "I don't like him [but] I cannot hate somebody.
Hate, for me, it's a terrible thing. He hates people and look what he has
become." Osama, she said, became a hero after he returned from Afghanistan at
the end of the 1980s. "In the family, in everybody in Saudi Arabia, the
society, everybody, he was considered as a hero. He was the religious one.
There are others who are religious, too, not to the extent of him. Osama has
become more radical to the West. But I think there are some of his brothers
who were religious, who would think the way Osama is saying." Yesterday her
version of events was challenged by a close friend of Yeslam Bin Laden.
Speaking from France, the friend, who wishes to remain anonymous, said Carmen
was motivated by her desire to achieve a divorce settlement. "Carmen, who I
have known for many years, is in the middle of a divorce with Yeslam. I think
this explains what she is saying." He said Carmen's mother had originally
rented a house from Yeslam and that was how he had met her. Her father came
from the Dufour family of Geneva. "She is trying to put pressure on the
family and take advantage of the present situation. "There is no truth at all
in what she was saying about the family supporting Osama. The Bin Laden
family is very close to the USA. In Saudi Arabia and Africa it owns the
franchise for Hard Rock Cafe and Yeslam himself is a major investor in
Carlyle Corporation, which is a big defence contractor." Further detail about
the family also emerged this week in a book, The Fighter from Mecca, by
Khaled Khalil Asaad, a Saudi writer. It says Bin Laden's mother was not
Syrian, as many believe, but came from the same village in south Yemen as his
father, Mohammed. His paternal influence, however, was short-lived. Mohammed
died in an air crash when Osama was 13. King Saud then realised the family
company, the Bin Laden Organisation, needed special protection. He issued a
decree to create a council of guardians to manage the organisation, take care
of the 57 sons and daughters, and protect and invest their wealth.

Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/UnN2wB/m5_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM