[iwar] [fc:Airstrikes.May.Pause.for.Ramadan]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-28 16:20:12

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 16:20:12 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Airstrikes.May.Pause.for.Ramadan]

[FC - This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of.  Is thir
really how we fight wars? "Flush them out... get them on the run... "
then give them a vacation?]

Airstrikes May Pause for Ramadan

By CHRIS FONTAINE Associated Press Writer

October 28, 2001, 11:44 AM EST

LONDON -- A pause in military strikes in Afghanistan for the Muslim
holy month of Ramadan is "being considered" though past wars among
Islamic countries have not had such cease-fires, Britain's foreign
secretary said Sunday.

Foreign Secretary Jack Straw said the Allies were sensitive to the
religious implications of continuing the campaign during Ramadan,
which begins in mid-November.

A halt to military action "is being considered, but I have to say
that if you look at the history of warfare in Islamic countries ...
there have not been pauses during Ramadan." He cited the 1980-88 war
between Iraq and Iran and the 1979-89 Soviet war in Afghanistan.

His comments on a British Broadcasting Corp. talk show came as Prime
Minister Tony Blair sought to assure the nation the U.S.-led war was
morally defensible.

Pakistan and other Muslim nations backing the campaign against Osama
bin Laden and the al-Qaida terror network have expressed increasing
unease about the prospect of war during Ramadan.

But a delay would cost the Allies considerable momentum at a critical
time. By the end of the holy month, the harsh Afghan winter will have
set in, limiting air and ground operations.

Top U.S. officials have said Washington is prepared to keep up the
fight through Ramadan, if necessary.

British officials warned Saturday that the war would not be easy or
painless, but Blair said he was confident of victory.

"Whatever our faults, Britain is a very moral nation with a strong
sense of right and wrong, and that moral fiber will defeat the
fanaticism of the terrorists and their supporters," the prime
minister said.

After announcing Friday that British Marines are being put in
position for attacks against the Taliban, the government and military
have spent the weekend cautioning that the campaign could drag on for
years.

"This kind of military action may last indefinitely," Straw said.

As reports of civilian casualties mount along with questions over the
effectiveness of the air campaign, Straw said the government was at
pains to remind Britons why the conflict was happening -- and what
gains had been made.

"We have broken up the terrorist camps. People seem to forget about
that. They are inoperable," he said. "One of the objectives we have
set has happened."

The foreign secretary denied Iraqi claims that military objectives
have expanded to include action aimed at toppling Saddam Hussein.

"The only military action on the agenda is in Afghanistan," Straw
said, adding that there was not "an explicit military aim" to remove
the Taliban from power although a new Afghan regime appeared
inevitable.

Iraqi Deputy Prime Minister Tariq Aziz was quoted in The Sunday
Telegraph newspaper as saying "it is just a matter of time" before
Britain and the United States attack his country under the pretext of
a war on terrorism.

Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yQix2C/33_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM