[iwar] [fc:The.missing.declaration]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-29 07:17:44

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 07:17:44 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:The.missing.declaration]

                        William F. Buckley, Jr.
                          October 29, 2001
                       The missing declaration
The world community is prepared to believe that terrorist activity is
not an expression of the Islamic faith. We say this because credible
Koranic experts tell us so, and because the sense of religion is
elementary respect for human life.
The United Nations, in September, passed two resolutions, one in the
Security Council, one in the General Assembly. The Security Council
voted unanimously its condemnation of the terrorism. The Assembly
didn't take the vote of its members individually, but the resolution
was passed by a standing vote. Azerbaijan's representative called
movingly for blood donations by U.N. representatives -- "We do love
this city, we love New York, and we want to help it."
Adrian Karatnycky, the president of Freedom House, reminds us
soberingly in National Review that it is misleading to think of the
terrorists as pure emanations of a foreign culture. We are reminded of
the leading terrorists of the century and their ties to the West.
Lenin of Zurich, Pol Pot and Ho Chi Minh of Paris. Che Guevara the
cosmopolitan doctor. The ringleader of the contemplated bombing of a
400-room hotel in Jordan was an American-born Muslim, Raed Hijazi. He
grew up in a privileged family, studied business administration at Cal
State and, according to Jordanian prosecutors, got his taste of
radical Islamic teaching at a mosque near his Sacramento campus. His
mullah there put him progressively in touch with Osama bin Laden.
Yes, the West is the generator of America's Weather Underground,
Germany's Baader-Meinhof Gang and Italy's Red Brigades, but never mind
that Mohamed Atta, who led the terrorists on Sept. 11, lived an urbane
life, was brought up by a middle-class family or that he had years of
experience living in Germany and in the United States. That doesn't
vitiate the faith by which the terrorists died, which was hardly
Western.
"Kill them, as God said; no Prophet can have prisoners of war." That
was a sentence in the text the terrorists were guided by, found in the
abandoned car in which one of them drove to the airport, to seal his
fate and that of 5,000 New Yorkers. "Be steadfast and remember (that
in) God you will be triumphant," his catechism went on.
Ms. Aasma Khan of New York is co-creator of Muslims Against Terrorism.
According to Robin Finn of The New York Times, the "month-old
coalition of urban professionals (is) dedicated to educating fellow
New Yorkers -- and beyond -- that Islam neither endorses nor tutors
terrorists." She is an "angrily articulate advocate intent on
disproving any link between Islam and the fugitive who dominates her
nightmares, Osama bin Laden."
Now all of this is reassuring. But we have every day, in the press and
on television, accounts of public acclaim in the Islamic world for the
deeds of Sept. 11. Quoted before in this space was the 32-year-old
body-and-fender man in Karachi, who explained to a reporter that holy
wars come about only when Allah has no other way to maintain justice,
times like now. "That is why Allah took out his sword" on Sept. 11.
The Judaeo-Christian West does not have the authority to proclaim
Islamic doctrine. However persuaded we are of the profanity of Sept.
11, declarations to that effect need to come, to be sure from
theological exegetes, but most pointedly from political leaders. The
United States, in company with Christian leaders of the West, should
ask for specific affirmations from presidents and prime ministers and
caliphs of the more than 50 Moslem countries. It would not be untoward
to ask that, in the tradition of international signatories in recent
history, on the order of the Atlantic Charter, they affix their names
to a declaration. It would read:
"We, political leaders of the community of Islamic nations, reject
such terrorism as was practiced on September 11, 2001. The men who
took this action in the name of Allah were impostors who profaned the
word of the prophet."
Not more would need to be said, but that Declaration of Islamic
Doctrine and Modern Terrorism, with names and titles of world leaders,
should appear everywhere, in parliaments and mosques, subway stations
-- and airports.
William F. Buckley, Jr. is editor of National Review,

Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yQix2C/33_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM