[iwar] [fc:Pentagon.hires.firm.to.help.with.war.PR.(So.do.Saudis)]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-30 18:05:54

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 18:05:54 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Pentagon.hires.firm.to.help.with.war.PR.(So.do.Saudis)]

Pentagon hires firm to help with war PR (So do Saudis)

Julia Day
Friday October 26, 2001

The Pentagon has hired a PR company to help it win the propaganda war
involving its military action in Afghanistan.

The Rendon Group, the firm the US government has hired, is the same
agency that advised the CIA-backed opponents of Saddam Hussain during
the mid-90s.

The Pentagon is paying the company £2,300 a day for the advice. The
initial £276,000, 120-day contract was awarded without a pitch with
the option to extend it by up to a year.

The Pentagon wants TRG to help it allay fears that its actions amount
to a war against Islam rather than terrorism. It also wants to
counter messages it considers to be "disinformation".

The agency will monitor the news media in 79 countries, recommend
ways the US military can counter opposition messages and improve
public communications.

TRG will also create a counter-terrorism website to provide
information on terrorist groups and the US campaign against terrorism.

"We needed a firm that could provide strategic counsel immediately.
We were interested in someone we knew could come in quickly and help
us communicate to a range of groups around the world, " said Lt Col
Kenneth McClellan, a Pentagon press officer.

Staff at Washington-based TRG include former members of the White
House staff, Congress and Bill Clinton's government.

John Rendon, the president of the company, has advised the
governments of Kuwait, Haiti and Panama and the company has worked
for the US department of defence and the US information agency.

Just days after the September 11 attacks on the US, the Saudi
government hired one of the world's biggest PR agencies, Burson
Marsteller, to provide "issues counselling and crisis management".

Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yQix2C/33_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM