Re: [iwar] [fc:Spy.agency.destroys.data,.angering.others.in.probe]

From: e.r. (fastflyer28@yahoo.com)
Date: 2001-11-05 21:07:03

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: "e.r." <fastflyer28@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 21:07:03 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [iwar]  [fc:Spy.agency.destroys.data,.angering.others.in.probe]

Tony- this is plain old D.C. bureaucratic spitball tossing. The NSA has
angered virtualy the entire intelligence community, by superceding it
charter, long ago, by doing analysis on its own raw data.  That is
considered a big no-no, albeit, it goes on without to much bickering.
If NSA ever slips up just a bit,however, the other agencies will go
after  them like sharks on a feeding frenzy. While NSA does both unique
and valuable work, they started this "terrioriy fight" eons ago, and I
see no relief soon...
--- Tony Bartoletti <azb@llnl.gov> wrote:
> At 08:48 PM 11/4/01 -0800, you wrote:
> >[FC - This one is just beyond comprehension...]
> >
> >INTELLIGENCE
> >
> >Spy agency destroys data, angering others in probe
> >
> >By John Donnelly, Globe Staff, 10/27/2001
> >
> >ASHINGTON - Analysts at the super-secret National Security Agency,
> acting on
> >advice from the organization's lawyers, have been destroying data
> collected
> >on Americans or US companies since the Sept. 11 attacks - angering
> other
> >intelligence agencies seeking leads in the antiterrorist probe,
> according to
> >two people with close intelligence ties.
>
> This is a hard one.
>
> On the one hand, we do not want to toss out the Fourth Amendment, as
> it is
> a cornerstone of the American System of Justice.
>
> One the other hand, it seems quite reasonable that when intelligence
> gathered on a foreign national happens to implicate a US citizen in
> the
> activities, such information should be able to be retained, with
> restrictions upon its use against that US citizen in a legal
> proceeding
> (otherwise, we might reasonably "surveil" a great many US citizens
> indirectly, simply by tapping arbitrary foreign nationals.)
>
> A system that might replace each reference to a US citizen with a
> "unique
> code", allowing cross reference to investigate networks of
> operations, yet
> protecting the identity of the citizen seems plausible in the ideal.
>
> Making it work would not be trivial.
>
> What happens when citizen information, shared with domestic law
> enforcement
> (FBI), reveals leads to "ordinary criminality" not directly related
> to the
> activity justifying the foreigner surveillance?  How does one
> demonstrate
> that "fishing expeditions" are not undertaken, based upon such leads?
>
> ____tony____
>

> P.S.  "ASHINGTON" ?  Odd spot for a copy-error.
>

> Tony Bartoletti 925-422-3881 <azb@llnl.gov>
> Information Operations, Warfare and Assurance Center
> Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
> Livermore, CA 94551-9900

Find a job, post your resume.
http://careers.yahoo.com

Pogo Stick - Just $24.95!
Great gift idea for kids of all ages, from Youcansave.com
http://us.click.yahoo.com/t5NeUC/QkNDAA/ySSFAA/kgFolB/TM