Re: [iwar] [fc:Spy.agency.destroys.data,.angering.others.in.probe]

From: Tony Bartoletti (azb@llnl.gov)
Date: 2001-11-05 16:08:27

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: Tony Bartoletti <azb@llnl.gov>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 17:08:27 -0700
Subject: Re: [iwar] [fc:Spy.agency.destroys.data,.angering.others.in.probe]

At 08:48 PM 11/4/01 -0800, you wrote:
>[FC - This one is just beyond comprehension...]
>
>INTELLIGENCE
>
>Spy agency destroys data, angering others in probe
>
>By John Donnelly, Globe Staff, 10/27/2001
>
>ASHINGTON - Analysts at the super-secret National Security Agency, acting on
>advice from the organization's lawyers, have been destroying data collected
>on Americans or US companies since the Sept. 11 attacks - angering other
>intelligence agencies seeking leads in the antiterrorist probe, according to
>two people with close intelligence ties.

This is a hard one.

On the one hand, we do not want to toss out the Fourth Amendment, as it is
a cornerstone of the American System of Justice.

One the other hand, it seems quite reasonable that when intelligence
gathered on a foreign national happens to implicate a US citizen in the
activities, such information should be able to be retained, with
restrictions upon its use against that US citizen in a legal proceeding
(otherwise, we might reasonably "surveil" a great many US citizens
indirectly, simply by tapping arbitrary foreign nationals.)

A system that might replace each reference to a US citizen with a "unique
code", allowing cross reference to investigate networks of operations, yet
protecting the identity of the citizen seems plausible in the ideal.

Making it work would not be trivial.

What happens when citizen information, shared with domestic law enforcement
(FBI), reveals leads to "ordinary criminality" not directly related to the
activity justifying the foreigner surveillance?  How does one demonstrate
that "fishing expeditions" are not undertaken, based upon such leads?

P.S.  "ASHINGTON" ?  Odd spot for a copy-error.

Tony Bartoletti 925-422-3881 <azb@llnl.gov>
Information Operations, Warfare and Assurance Center
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Livermore, CA 94551-9900