[iwar] [fc:Islands.in.the.Clickstream:..Doing.What's.Necessary.(Network.warfare)]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-11-08 06:47:30

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 06:47:30 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Islands.in.the.Clickstream:..Doing.What's.Necessary.(Network.warfare)]

Islands in the Clickstream:  Doing What's Necessary (Network warfare)

Richard Thieme, Theimeworks, 11/7/2001

Network warfare requires that we identify nodes in a net and the links
between them, then systematically degrade, transform or destroy both
nodes and links. Cyberwar in all of its manifestations is a metaphor for
the network wars in which we are currently engaged. The Internet once
again shows the dye in the arteries of the mind of society.

Because networks are based on trust, network warfare must undermine
trust. The intended end of terrorism is to destroy the trust that holds
a civil society together. The war against terrorism is executed with the
same end in mind.

But the best defense is to build and distribute trusted links and nodes,
a network that is redundant, resilient, and infinitely elastic.

When the infrastructure of society is the weapon as well as the target,
then all of us are on the front lines. Some are unwilling soldiers, some
don't know they are soldiers, some can't believe they are soldiers - but
just as we have learned online that we are each responsible for securing
our nodes and links, we are growing aware of our roles in the new
battlespace.

We are all on the front lines. We are each responsible for doing what is
necessary.

I noted previously that the command to "Be alert!" is not
self-executing. We must be trained to be alert, to recognize what
constitutes suspicious activity, and to know how to respond
appropriately. Much of what we need to learn is already available, and
those ready opportunities must be linked with new opportunities for
education and training on the web and in our communities.

Many of us feel a greater urgency to contribute to an effort worthy of
our deepest values and commitments. The National Security Agency saw
recruiting calls surge from 2,700 a month to more than 16,000.
Applications to the CIA increased by 700% after September 11. Army
recruiters too report an increase in people wanting to enlist.

Most of us won't be able to join an intelligence organization or branch
of the military, but it isn't necessary to do so in order to gather and
focus our energies in positive ways. We have a mandate from reality
itself to create a network to gather the creative energies of just plain
people like ourselves and use them effectively.

A military leader recently said that for the first time in American
history, the military is not able to defend the infrastructure of the
nation. Critical infrastructure components - power, water and sewage,
telecommunications, transportation, financial services - must defend
themselves from physical and cyber-assault.

Creating a "partnership between public and private sectors" is no longer
easy because that simplistic division between sectors no longer fits our
current reality. The nodes of our multiple networks intersect with one
another in multi-dimensional ways. Governments can support but not
provide all of the structures that we need.

I propose that we create a Homeland Defense Organization, a grass-roots
effort on behalf of educating and training average citizens who find
themselves on the front lines of a new kind of battle.

The Homeland Defense Organization is conceived as a loosely organized
network of classes, training opportunities, and awareness-enhancing
experiences which when taken together constitute a pro-active response
to the mandate to "Be alert!"

Since September 11, many feel a desire to "do something." The Homeland
Defense Organization channels that desire in productive ways by
instructing, training, and supporting all of us in taking an enhanced
role in defending ourselves in a protracted war with terrorism.

The HDO will address specific needs as they evolve, but will include:

+ noticing what's out of the ordinary, creating a global "neighborhood
watch;"

+ responding appropriately to perceived threats;

+ understanding enhanced security as a necessary safeguard;

+ emergency planning on individual, family and community levels;

+ specific responses to urban warfare - what to do when roads are
blocked, explosions take place, chemical biological or nuclear attacks
are threatened or executed, communications/electronic networks are
disrupted;

+ education in the new geopolitical realities of network warfare and
globalization;

+ physical fitness and training, including martial arts and weight
training;

+ self-defense;

+ spiritual fitness and training, including the use of "spiritual tools"
such as meditation, awareness enhancement, and prayer
(non-denominational, this aspect would nevertheless include existing
organizations in a non-partisan way).

I am inviting you to work with myself and others to build the Homeland
Defense Organization, to link existing opportunities for education and
training online and in the physical world with new opportunities.

HDO is a non-partisan, non-profit, independent grass-roots effort to
create a positive informed response to the threat of terrorism. It is
not intended to be administered or funded by any government but needs
the support and expertise of all sectors of society. I invite your ideas
and suggestions at this stage of development.

If you want to be kept informed via the HDO newsletter, reply with
"subscribe HDO" as subject or text. A web site will be online soon.

The challenge to our humanity is absolute. The antidotes to anxiety and
fear and the paralysis they cause are community, a free flow of
information and energy, and accountability to our highest goals and a
vision worthy of our best selves.

We need to think creatively, differently. Two friends involved with the
intelligence community, for example, suggested enlisting "cadres of
young people who could be teachers." In particular, "African American
males have had to live in situations in which they often are and feel
threatened. They survive by recognizing and countering real threats. It
would be a great win-win if we called upon these young men to be
teachers for our society."

We need one another's support in order to stay in our discomfort zones
as we map the contours of a changed landscape. Alone we will fall back
but together ... we can do this.