[iwar] [fc:Myers.Says.Warfighter.Interoperability.Is.'Absolutely.Essential']

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-11-16 06:09:22

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 06:09:22 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Myers.Says.Warfighter.Interoperability.Is.'Absolutely.Essential']

InsideDefense.com
November 15, 2001
Myers Says Warfighter Interoperability Is 'Absolutely Essential'
Making weapon systems interoperable across the services as well as with
foreign allies is a key goal for the Pentagon's new chairman of the Joint
Chiefs of Staff.
"It's absolutely essential to ensure the joint force of the future achieves
the highest level of effectiveness and ensure our force is agile enough --
we've got to be agile -- to operate inside the decision loop of even the
most capable adversary," Air Force Gen. Richard Myers said today at a
conference sponsored by Tufts University's Fletcher School of International
Law and Diplomacy. "So we've got to take advantage of our superior
information-gathering systems . . . and develop enhanced
knowledge-management tools that will give our commanders the ability to see
the right data when they need it."
Myers added that "what we are really trying to do here is to dissipate as
much as possible the fog of war to enable timely, decisive action by our
commanders. And this is a key part of joint war fighting, and all the
services need to get it right, and so do we on the Joint Staff, as we help
facilitate that."
For the chairman, therefore, "the bottom line . . . is our weapons and
weapon systems must be designed with joint and coalition interoperability in
mind. We've got to do that up front."
Myers said having an interoperable command, control, communications,
computers, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance capability is the
goal that could "have the biggest impact, because it impacts the ability of
the commander to command. . . . We simply must give our Joint Task Force
commanders the necessary tools to fully integrate their combat power."
To help work this issue, senior Pentagon officials are exploring the idea of
what he called a "standing Joint Task Force headquarters," an idea that was
included in the recently released Quadrennial Defense Review. Myers said he
sees this as "a tool to help push greater interoperability."
"The joint force headquarters would have a robust command and control,
communications, computer, and intelligence architecture that all future
weapon platforms or communication systems and any upgrades to existing
systems would have to be designed to plug in to," he said.
Senior Defense Department officials are also counting on the Joint
Requirements Oversight Council, chaired by Marine Corps Gen. Peter Pace,
vice chairman of the joint chiefs of staff, to push for reforms in this
area. "Our intent is that any system brought forward to the JROC for review
must be shown to be interoperable with those systems," Myers said.
"And by the way, this is not an easy task because, before you decide how it
has to be interoperable, you have to have the operational concept of how
this all fits together. That is the more difficult issue before us, and so
that's one that the Joint Requirements Oversight Council is working on," he
said.
-- John Liang

Universal Inkjet Refill Kit $29.95
Refill any ink cartridge for less!