[iwar] [fc:Malware:.A.virus.and.worm.forecast.for.early.2002.]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-11-29 16:41:32

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 16:41:32 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Malware:.A.virus.and.worm.forecast.for.early.2002.]

Malware: A virus and worm forecast for early 2002.

By Roger Thompson, Information Security, 11/29/2001

Does anyone know the worst part of Nimda? It's not how the worm infected
HTML pages, or how it wormed across local shares, or the way it beat
unmercifully on port 80. It wasn't even the way it infected programs and
attached itself to e-mail messages, although all these were pretty bad.
The worst part of Nimda was that it forced me to rewrite this article.
When thinking about malware predictions for the coming year, my chief
concern was the emergence of something that combined viral and worm
properties, burrowed through published security vulnerabilities and
appeared before I could publish a warning.
Fortunately, the rest of my predictions have yet to come to fruition.
But it's only a matter of time before we see new and more dangerous
malware outbreaks. With that in mind, my malware version of the "Old
Farmer's Almanac" includes everything from the mundane to the
sensational.

More macro and script viruses. We will continue to see these emerge at
the rate of 500 to 600 a month, although none of them will have any
measurable impact. The major antivirus programs are more than able to
detect most of these heuristically, and this, combined with the fact
that most corporations wisely filter potentially harmful attachments at
the gateway, means that this class of malware poses few problems.

The true impact will be borne by the antivirus community. Forced to
examine, name and catalog these annoying viruses and worms, AV
researchers will be distracted from their truly useful work of heading
off more serious outbreaks.
More Remote Access Trojans (RATs) or backdoors. A segment of hacking
community treats the "owning" of as many boxes as possible like an
indoor sport.

In increasing numbers, malware writers continue to disguise RATs and
backdoor scripts as "adult" movies and then post them to pornography
newsgroups. However, these activities should pose no serious problems to
anyone but naive and unsophisticated home users and the occasional,
hapless, large software company (and I'm not naming names, but you know
who they are).

More mass-mailing Win32 viruses. Viruses--such as Magistr, SirCam and
Hybris--will continue to cause problems for some corporations that still
don't filter out executable attachments at the e-mail gateway, relying
instead on their AV solutions.

Antivirus heuristics simply don't work on Win32 programs as well as they
do on macros and scripts. The only way conventional AV scanners can
catch Win32 viruses is by being able to recognize them, which means
their signatures must to be up to date. You quickly see the flaw with
this strategy when you consider that e-mail worms can spread faster than
antivirus updates.
A new Code Red . Emerging in August, Code Red was easily the most
interesting and elegant piece of malware seen in 2001. Although there
were four versions of this worm, there were actually two separate code
bases. In other words, CodeRed.B--the variant--was a simple modification
that fixed a couple of CodeRed.A's bugs.

The worm formerly known as Code Red II, subsequently renamed CodeRed.C,
was actually a completely different program. The worm was conceptually
so similar to the original Code Reds, it was given the name CodeRed.C to
reduce confusion.
CodeRed.D was a modification of CodeRed.C that removed some of its
self-limiting features, allowing it to spread further and faster. These
were limited to Win2000 and IIS 5. It's almost certain that the authors
of these worms are closely examining NT 4.0 and IIS 4.0 to see if a
similar exploit can be found for these platforms. Certainly, we'll see
another worm in this category within the next six months.

W32/Nimda v1.0. The biggest, mostly likely malware threat to emerge in
the next six months is a variant of Nimda. Compared to Code Red, Nimda
was a boring, commonplace code, and could even be described as
pedestrian. However, its author showed a fine understanding of the
weakness of conventional AV defenses and the psychology of corporate
security.

While the worm targeted old and well-known vulnerabilities, for which
patches had been available, the Nimda author correctly guessed that the
majority of networks either hadn't installed all the patches or didn't
configure their PCs for security. If Nimda didn't get you with one
trick, it would (and did) get you with another.
Given that Nimda was internally listed as v0.5, and given that the
original worm didn't exploit all the known vulnerabilities, it's more
than reasonable to expect a v1.0, or higher, seeded on some of the
leftover Code Red-compromised PCs still out there, and set to all launch
within minutes of each other.
Even if none of these predictions comes to fruition, the bottom line of
malware prevention remains the same: patch early, patch often, filter
and update signatures. In other words, exercise common sense.

ROGER THOMPSON (<a href="mailto:rthompson@trusecure.com?Subject=Re:%20(ai)%20Malware:%20A%20virus%20and%20worm%20forecast%20for%20early%202002.%2526In-Reply-To=%2526lt;200111291421.fATELia22345@smtpsrv2.mitre.org">rthompson@trusecure.com</a>)
is director of malicious code
research for TruSecure Corp. He speaks at security conferences and is on
the editorial board of Virus Bulletin and the advisory board of the Wild
List Organization.

Universal Inkjet Refill Kit $29.95
Refill any ink cartridge for less!
Includes black and color ink.