[iwar] [fc:Marines.used.DOOM.for.training]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2002-01-05 07:48:11

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 07:48:11 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Marines.used.DOOM.for.training]

source:  http://www.homelanfed.com/index.php?id=3987

OpFlash Marine Corps Interview - 04 January 2002 00:00 - John [JCal]
Callaham User Comments : 5
  Several years ago, a section of the United States Marine Corps modified id
Software's Doom to act as a training tool and "Marine Doom" became one of
the most well known mods for a game ever created. Now the USMC is once again
using a modified PC game to further train its troops with Operation:
Flashpoint. Coalescent Technologies Corporation is the company that modified
the hit military action game for the USMC with the assistance of the game's
developer Bohemia Interactive Studios. HomeLAN got a chance to chat with
Michael Woodman, the program manager at Coalescent Technologies to find out
more about what they are doing to fashion Operation: Flashpoint for the
Marine Corps.

HomeLAN - First, what can you tell us about your company Coalescent
Technologies?

Michael Woodman - Coalescent Technologies Corporation is a professional
engineering firm that provides sophisticated engineering products and
services to the Department of Defense, federal agencies, and commercial
clients.

Established in 1995, Coalescent is privately owned and operated with
headquarters in Orlando, Florida. We maintain divisional offices in the
mid-Atlantic region and Southern California.

Our mission is to satisfy our customers by providing high quality products
and services, with an emphasis on creativity and excellence in execution,
while maintaining budgetary and scheduling objectives.

Our staff includes recognized leaders and performers in electrical and
digital engineering, enterprise-level intranets, information technologies,
radio frequency identification, modeling, simulation and training.

Coalescent boasts a highly talented and experienced multimedia lab,
specializing in 3-D modeling and rendering, animation, and large-scale
intranet site development.

Coalescent Technologies Corporation has been awarded five large, competitive
 prime contracts from the U.S. Navy. These wide-ranging omnibus contracts
have included the analysis, design and development of world-wide learning
networks, weapon simulation systems, wireless tracking products, and the
development of concepts for weapon systems.

HomeLAN - How did the idea come about for the company to modify Operation:
Flashpoint for the U.S Marine Corps?

Michael Woodman - The original impetus for using a modified commercial
off-the-shelf (COTS) first-person shooter game as part of the USMC training
regimen came from a visionary infantry officer, Captain J.E. Smith, USMC. He
convinced the Marine Corps Systems Command to fund Coalescent Technologies
to establish two experimental labs (Quantico, VA and Orlando, FL) to
determine the validity of personal computer-based games as training devices.

The success of these experimental labs led to funding by the Office of Naval
Research for Coalescent Technologies to conduct an Advanced Technology
Demonstration and experiment in conjunction with the Marine Corps
Warfighting Lab's "Project Metropolis." This project was looking
specifically at tactics, techniques, and training for Military Operations on
Urban Terrain.

These original experiments used other COTS games. When Operation Flashpoint
became available, the new requirements officer, 1stLt Don Mathes, USMC,
immediately recognized it as a superior baseline product with which we could
achieve our goals of providing a low-cost training tool. Some of the
specific capabilities of Operation Flashpoint that make it an ideal game to
modify for the Marine Corps are: Loading Marines inside vehicles for
amphibious and armored assaults; Loading Marines inside helicopters for
helicopterborne assaults; Using vehicles and aircraft interactively for fire
support; Using the Mission Planner to create specific scenarios for the
Marines to execute; Incorporating vast areas of geo-specific terrain

HomeLAN - Was there skepticism from the USMC about using a PC game as a
basis for a training program?

Michael Woodman - The Marine Corps has a fairly lengthy association with PC
games. In spite of the somewhat lackluster reception of "Marine Doom," there
is a large acceptance of the potential for training by PC games. Coalescent
Technologies, through its experiments, has gained quite a number of
converts.

HomeLAN - How has Bohemia Interactive Studios helped in modifying the game
for your needs?

Michael Woodman - Bohemia Interactive Studio and Coalescent Technologies
have worked very closely to create new models specific to the Marine Corps.
These include: AV-8B Harrier II; CH-53 Sea Stallion Helicopter; MV-22 Osprey
Tilt-Rotor Aircraft; AAV-P7 Armored Assault Vehicle; AAAV Advanced Armored
Assault Vehicle; LAV-AT Light Armored Vehicle (Anti-Tank variant); M-249
Squad Assault Weapon; USMC Desert Camouflage Uniform.

HomeLAN - Can you describe specifically what Coalescent has done to the game
to make it work for the USMC program?

Michael Woodman - In addition to the models listed above, we are working on
dozens of additional models, including models and artificial intelligence
for the non-lethal environment, or Military Operations Other Than War
(MOOTW). We are also working on real-time, interactive, voice-recognition
fire support for mortars, artillery, Naval Surface Fire Support, and Close
Air Support.

HomeLAN - So far what has the response been from the Marines who have used
the program?

Michael Woodman - Very positive. Some examples:

"The controls were easy to remember, the graphics were exceptional and it
simulated everything you could do in combat. Overall I was quite impressed."

"We didn't learn on our first try, but learned from our mistakes and then
successfully completed the mission."

"I think this system would be great on ship. It would turn a lot of dead
time into something constructive."

"I was able to think as a rifleman and use fire team skills."

"It seems like it would be very useful because it keeps a Marine thinking
about different situations and scenarios. It is also fun to use which keeps
our interest and attention."

"It made me think a lot as if I was in a real situation."

HomeLAN - We have read that the entire USMC modification will not be
released to the public. Why was this decision made?

Michael Woodman - The entire USMC modification will use the BIS/Coalescent
Technologies Virtual Battlefield System (VBS), which is based upon the
Operation Flashpoint engine but is an advanced military application. VBS
incorporates the changes listed earlier. As such, much of what is created
will not work with the COTS Operation Flashpoint. Additionally, some of what
will be created will be classified.

HomeLAN - Will at least parts of the program be released to the public, such
as new vehicles and such?

Michael Woodman - Some of the models may be released. BIS and Coalescent
Technologies will have discussions in the future as to exactly which models.

HomeLAN - Does Coalescent Technologies plan to continue using Operation:
Flashpoint for other training programs?

Michael Woodman - Coalescent Technologies will be using VBS for other
training programs. We already have interest from the US Army, US Navy, and
other nations such as Australia, Singapore, and Israel. Further, we are
working on a Law Enforcement/First Responders version that has interest from
the US Secret Service, local police and fire departments, and other
agencies.

HomeLAN - Finally, what do you think of this growing trend of using
off-the-shelf PC games to help train the US military?

Michael Woodman - I've been following it with great interest. I believe that
there is great value in using COTS games as a low-cost training tool
provided that they are used in the proper manner: specific scenarios with
mission statements and objectives, using proper tactics, and using proper
briefing and debriefing techniques. We have found these training systems to
be very effective for practicing command, control, communications, and
coordination.

Links

Official Operation: Flashpoint web site

Virtual Battlefield System web site