RE: [iwar] Re: [fc:Arms.Seizure.Backfires,.Wounds.Israel]

From: Leo, Ross (Ross.Leo@csoconline.com)
Date: 2002-01-09 15:04:35

To: "'iwar@yahoogroups.com'" <iwar@yahoogroups.com>
Cc: "George Guillory (E-mail)" <george.guillory@compaq.com>
From: "Leo, Ross" <Ross.Leo@csoconline.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 17:04:35 -0600
Subject: RE: [iwar] Re: [fc:Arms.Seizure.Backfires,.Wounds.Israel]

What was it Sherlock Holmes said? Paraphrasing...

When you have a proven event as your point of origin, and you must prove
beyond a reasonable doubt how that event came into existence, you must
methodically eliminate all of the plausible possibilities that would account
for that event's existence.  But, once you have eliminated all the plausible
possibilities, all that remains is the implausible impossibilities with
which to explain the presence of that event in cold, objective reality.

I also remember the First Rule of Dictatorial Prevarication (not invented by
Hitler, but employed to great advantage by him):

"If you have ambitions to achieve Dictatorial Power, and the will to work
for it, have a clearly identifiable enemy or scapegoat (real or
manufactured) on which to blame the conditions you plan to use as platform,
can create a hostile ambiance that takes full advantage of the emotions of
the masses, you must then create a "big lie" that embodies the foregoing,
painting you as the solution to "the problem" and the "saviour".  Once you
have these foundation stones in place, you only need to tell the same lie
(each time in different but self-reinforcing words depending on context and
audience) repeatedly, at every opportunity.  If you tell it big enough, loud
enough, and long enough to enough people, it will attain the appearance of
truth in everyone's' minds.  The rest will follow automatically."

Cheers.

Ross A. Leo, CISSP, CBCP
Director, IT Security Engineering
    & Site Security Manager for JSC