[iwar] [fc:Palestinians,.Weapons.Ship.Linked]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2002-01-10 19:25:47

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 19:25:47 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Palestinians,.Weapons.Ship.Linked]

Palestinians, Weapons Ship Linked

By BARRY SCHWEID
.c The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) - Secretary of State Colin Powell on Thursday linked the
Palestinian Authority to a ship laden with arms that was seized in the Red
Sea by Israeli commandos, but said there was no proof Yasser Arafat was
involved.

If the ship had reached Palestinian territory and the weapons had been
unloaded, Powell said, they ``would have been put to the worst kind of use
against Israel and others in the region.''

Powell was pleased Israel intercepted the ship last Thursday.

``Now we have to find all those responsible and accountable for this
incident,'' he said at a news conference.

A senior Israeli security official on Wednesday said the weapons would have
been used most against reinforced buses that generally have not been
penetrated in terrorist attacks.

But the official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the rockets and
mortar aboard could have threatened Tel Aviv, other large Israeli cities, and
Ben Gurion airport.

The official headed an Israeli delegation that briefed the Bush
administration.

``The information we are receiving and developing on our own makes it clear
that there are linkages to the Palestinian Authority,'' Powell said Thursday.

But while the Israeli official said Arafat was directly involved in the
episode, hatched last June, Powell said: ``I have not seen any information
that yet links it directly to Chairman Arafat.''

State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said there was ``compelling
evidence'' that Iran and Hezbollah, a militant Islamic group fighting a
guerrilla war against Israel from Lebanon, were involved in the operation.

President Bush said he suspected the attempted smuggling of arms to the
Palestinians was part of a terror campaign to derail peace efforts. He
pledged to send American mediator Anthony Zinni to the region a third time
and pressed Arafat to ``work hard to get to the peace table.''

Bush telephoned President Hosni Mubarak of Egypt to discuss the lagging peace
effort and the ship incident. Bush ``expressed his belief that Yasser Arafat
has to take clear concrete measures to investigate,'' Nabil Fahmy, the
Egyptian ambassador to Washington, told reporters at a luncheon.

Mubarak, in turn, assured Bush he was committed to working with Israel and
the Palestinians to try to reopen peace talks, Fahmy said.

The ambassador said he did not have information linking the Palestinian
Authority to the smuggling - a position taken initially by the State
Department.

Powell, who has talked to Arafat, said other U.S. diplomats would quiz
Palestinian officials.

``This is a very serious matter and they have to give it their immediate
attention,'' Powell said, describing the Bush administration as ``deeply
disturbed by the arrival of the ship in the region.''

Bush told reporters that while he wanted to make sure there was definitive
evidence, ``I, like many, am beginning to suspect those arms were headed ...
to promote terror.''

He did not directly blame Arafat or discount the Palestinian leader's denials
in the matter, but said, ``I do believe that once the evidence is in, those
responsible need to be held to account.''

Bush said the United States would not disengage from the Middle East.

``We will stay involved ... and it starts with making the region more
secure,'' he said.

That, Bush said, means ``Mr. Arafat must renounce terror, must reject those
who would disrupt the peace process through terror and must work hard to get
to the peace table.''

Sponsored by VeriSign - The Value of Trust
Do you need to encrypt all your online transactions? Find
the perfect solution in this FREE Guide from VeriSign.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vCuuSA/UdiDAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM