[iwar] [fc:Disks.with.classified.military.taken.from.a.car.as.officers.take.a.dip]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2002-07-13 22:25:45

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 22:25:45 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Disks.with.classified.military.taken.from.a.car.as.officers.take.a.dip]
Friday, July 12, 2002
FBI aids in probe of stolen secrets

   Disks with classified military
   data are taken from a car
   as officers take a dip

   Staff and news reports

   Federal agents and Honolulu police are investigating theft of classified
military files from the car of a military officer who with three other
officers stopped for a swim last month at Waimea Bay, the U.S. Pacific
Command confirmed yesterday.

   "We are investigating this particular case, but I can't give any details
about it. ... I'll let what's in the media stand," said FBI spokesman Kevin
Rickett yesterday.

   The files on computer compact discs were labeled "Top Secret" and were
among items taken from the trunk of the car parked at Waimea Bay on June
14, according to a KHON-TV report.

   The files are so sensitive that President Bush was notified shortly
after they were taken, the station said, quoting unnamed sources.

   "This has turned into a national story. ... CNN has called several times
already," Rickett noted.

   Officials would not say whether the files have been found.

   Navy Capt. John Singley, the Pacific Command's public affairs officer,
said, "We are investigating the possible loss of classified materials."

   He declined to characterize the level of security placed on the missing
files and said he had no knowledge about Bush having been notified.

   Singley, reached in the Philippines, said he does not believe anyone had
been arrested, adding that the Federal Bureau of Investigation has the lead
in the case with assistance from the military and Honolulu police.

   A source close to the investigation told the Star- Bulletin that several
suspects have been identified and that law enforcement was working on
locating them.

   Four Army and Air Force officers were together when the documents were
stolen, said a defense official in Washington who spoke on condition of
anonymity.

   Singley said it is premature to discuss possible discipline, if any, of
the midranking officers who had custody of the classified materials.

   Last month, there were 13 car break-ins reported to police for the North
Shore patrol area that includes Waimea Beach Park.

   Police identified for federal investigators a number of individuals who
have been suspects in past break-ins at the popular beach, said Sgt. Robert
Olmos at the Wahiawa police station.

   "All we were told is that it was some highly classified information that
involved national security," he said. "I don't know if they have picked
anyone up yet."

   Teams of federal agents raided a home on July 5 in Wahiawa in connection
with the investigation, but residents there said they knew nothing about
the theft.

   "Just a whole barrage of cars came one time. It was scary. If you got
children, it was scary for them because innocent bystanders can get hurt,"
said Tammy Simer, a neighbor, in a report broadcast by KHON.

   Rose Wiley, another neighbor, estimated that 50 agents took part in the
raid, which she said came after agents had staked out the area for more
than a week.

   The neighbors were shown mug shots of suspects in the theft.

   The case is so sensitive, according to one federal official, that it has
spawned a separate investigation aimed at finding who in the military, the
FBI or other federal agencies is leaking information to the media.

   Waimea Bay is known for its spectacular surf during winter months and
its clear and quiet waters and broad sand beach in the summer. As with many
recreational parking areas in Hawaii, the beach lot is posted with signs
warning of car break-ins.

   "There's so many break-ins here ... it's pathetic," said Ocean Safety
Officer Dave Yester, who said he has been a lifeguard at Waimea for the
past 13 years.

   "Just today (yesterday), this family from Europe got their passports,
credit cards, cash and everything ripped off from them while they were
swimming."

   "We've got volunteers watching the parking lot, but they can't be here
every day. I wish someone would do something about this."

Save on REALTOR Fees
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Xw80LD/h1ZEAA/Ey.GAA/kgFolB/TM