[iwar] [fc:Activists'.Names.Listed.in.Hackers'.Terror.E-mail]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2002-08-06 20:28:35

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 20:28:35 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Activists'.Names.Listed.in.Hackers'.Terror.E-mail]
Activists' Names Listed in Hackers' Terror E-mail
Date:  Monday, 05 August 2002

Source:  Toronto Star

Story:  A Yale professor listed on an E-mail advocating terrorism, which
also names a Toronto activist, says he's been the target of computer
hackers.

Titled "Down with USA," the E-mail links activists for Palestinian human
rights with terrorists, leaving those named exposed to threats and
harassment.

The E-mail asks people who "seek the destruction of the evil U.S. and
her democratic (anti-Islamic) allies" to contact those on the list for
help. "When you need financial, legal or logistical support to continue
the fight against the Infidel Christian United States or the Infidel
Jewish Israel, all of these honourable people are ready and willing to
help immediately," the e-mail says.

Nineteen people are listed, along with E-mail addresses and telephone
numbers.

Two Canadians are on the list, including Mughir al-Hindi, a Toronto
co-ordinator for the Palestine Right to Return Coalition.

The E-mail is bogus, says Mazin Qumsiyeh, media co-ordinator and
co-founder of the coalition and an associate professor of genetics at
Yale University, who is also on the list.

The "Down with USA" E-mail is just another instalment in a long
nightmare for Qumsiyeh that began this summer.

But it was when the computer system at Yale University was hacked that
he became concerned.

Nearly 2,000 E-mails were sent out with Qumsiyeh's forged e-mail
address, along with a message asking for a boycott of Israeli goods,
Qumsiyeh said.

"It looked like I was spamming political messages and using not only my
E-mail address at Yale, but also my position at Yale to give it
credibility," he said.

Although Yale information security sent out a message saying he was a
victim of hacking, the E-mail campaign continued.

Fifteen to 20 different E-mails circulated over the summer with his name
attached, he said.

The most recent elicited more than 20 telephone calls and E-mails with
messages such as "Death to Arabs," and "You're a terrorist," he said.

The Palestine coalition is a non-profit, educational and charitable
organization that does not support terrorist groups financially or
otherwise and is against violence and suicide bombings, said Qumsiyeh.

"If we were otherwise we would be a clandestine operation, not out in
the open. That's the idiocy of these attacks," he said of the E-mails.

He approached the FBI after the Yale hacker struck, but was told it
wasn't illegal to spam. Only after the "Down with USA" e-mail and
subsequent threats did the agency begin to investigate.

But here in Canada, al-Hindi says he is not concerned and so hasn't made
a complaint.

"This isn't new for us," he said of being targeted for his activism. "We
sometimes get angry E-mails."

Since the "Down with USA" E-mail, he's had people call and hang up after
saying his name.

"It's harassment but I don't consider them threats," he said.

"I'm used to it."

Will You Find True Love?
Will You Meet the One?
Free Love Reading by phone!