Re: [iwar] Digest Number 980

From: <DrewSchaefer@ftnetwork.com>
Date: Fri Nov 28 2003 - 02:16:13 PST

Hi all,

I appreciate the voices again: my background again (boring:
delete!) in joining this list in '99 was the fact that I'd
lost my contract with an IGO in Geneva, and so tried to immerse
myself in 'cutting edge' issues that I could, with a dormant
law degree, work into my CV/Resume. Info-warfare was, in my
mind, one of the most important coming issues, but the content
on many of the Iwar discussions were more tech/virus oriented,
very valid, but not in my range.

September 11 changed that, and I did an amazing amount of reading
thanks (THANKS!) to Fred's valuable search/c-n-paste efforts. As
Tony mentioned, *any* of us on this list that spent any time with
that massive 'data-mining' effort did increase our GPIQ (just
thought that up: Geo-Political Intelligence Quotient; Better claim
a copyright here and now!) 10% or more.

Was also studying Bandwidth commoditization, and Internet jurisdiction.

Now working again at the same IGO (WIPO) from which I was let go in
1999.

Your issues/voice, Tony, are right, IMHO. Who would have thought
we'd be analyzing the 'Truth Quotient' of a second sitting President
with as much fervor, and with much more at stake, than through the
lens provided by the Right and the Media on Clinton?

And the fact we're drowning in SPAM and not TRUTH is fascinating in
itself ... (maybe 'we' isn't correct: I delete over 100 emails a day
from my WIPO account, and about 70 a day from this Fin. Times account)

If we want to re-open a door that may be tangentially related to
Iwar, I've been very interested in the statistics on oil depletion in
the USA, converging with the rise in what I think we'll be known as for
the epoch 2000-2025: The Age of Oil Wars.

According to BP, the USA has a 10.8 year supply of domestic oil if produced
at the current rate of extraction.
http://www.bp.com/centres/energy/pagedownloads/T_oil_res.pdf

With a Sec'y Def/VP/NSC and many more from the Oil/Energy World,
one may think that if the USA was dry in 2015, the time to secure
alternative sources for enabling a smooth transition would be ...
about now.

Am also considering, in the light of Pres. Bush' Doctrine on
Preemptive Warfare (Which in Int'l Law exists as a very legitimate
means of security, IF PROOF EXISTS), if one could consider the
'attacks' on the WTC et al as a form of pre-emptive attack by
bin Laden/the Taliban?

After all, it was widely reported that the State Department went
to the Taliban in the summer of 2001, and offered them a 'carpet
of gold, or a carpet of bombs.'

Thus who 'attacked' who, in a legitimate preemptive strike, seems
weighted more, *perhaps*, to the alliance Taliban/bin Laden.

Provocative statement?

Seeing the clock, I best get back to work ... ;-)

Drew
(the non-unsubscriber!)

Drew Schaefer, JD
ruelle des Galeries, 9
CH-1248 Suisse
Phone on request

"I believe -
in human dignity as the source of national purpose,
in human liberty as the source of national action,
in the human heart as the source of national compassion, and
in the human mind as the source of our invention and our ideas"
John F Kennedy, September 1960

Visit the web site of the Financial Times at http://www.ft.com

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/kgFolB/TM