RE: [iwar] PRIVACY Forum Digest V10 #04 (fwd)

From: Tony Bartoletti (azb@llnl.gov)
Date: 2001-06-11 16:59:57

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: Tony Bartoletti <azb@llnl.gov>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:59:57 -0700
Subject: RE: [iwar] PRIVACY Forum Digest V10 #04 (fwd)

Good call, John.

I suppose that is, for me, the *real* threat (foreign or domestic).  By
exploiting these "channel-use dossiers", one can not only target groups
ethnically, racially, etc., but can even ferret out "the followers or
sympathizers of cause X", for whatever "X" happens to be of interest to,
say, a terrorist (or a wayward law enforcement effort.)  With sufficient
data history, some independent validation, and statistics, they may be able
to do this with considerable accuracy, independent of the more traditional
broad-stroke characterizations such as mere ethnicity.

Once I thought of thwarting the "caller-id" stuff (due to annoying calls
from vendors) by installing two phone lines, "red phones" and "green
phones" in my home.  I give my friends the red phone number, and only
accept calls on red.  Any outgoing calls are placed on green phones (for
which the "bell" is disabled.)  Silly concept, perhaps.

If web vendors continue to insist upon "double-click-style"
page-referencing web-dots and other surveillance techniques, and begin to
restrict your access if they detect you are stripping out their ads and spy
stuff, the only alternative may be to employ a special web front-end, that
is (say) randomly surfing dozens of sites every minute, so that the pages
you actually request are simply slid into the request stream, and are the
only pages that end up being displayed.

This would serve to "wash out" any meaningful statistics (at the cost of a
lot of bandwidth!)

___tony___

At 05:12 PM 6/11/01 -0400, you wrote:
>Well, just when I was having so much trouble identifying Arabs, Jews and
>other entities for highly focused terrorist targeting here comes American
>advertising and marketing to the rescue. I don't think that this diverges at
>all. I would be very interested to see how well that information is
>protected (if at all) and whether it's available for a small fee. I am quit
>sure that this information, by it's very nature will localize individuals
>and families nearly as well as GPS.

Tony Bartoletti 925-422-3881 <azb@llnl.gov>
Information Operations, Warfare and Assurance Center
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Livermore, CA 94551-9900