Re: [iwar] The definition of terrorism

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-23 07:34:56

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 07:34:56 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [iwar] The definition of terrorism

Per the message sent by Mohammad Ozair Rasheed:

> Fred,

> Thanks for the update on the subject from a wide range of sources, I do
> not see the mention to terrorism being carried out by the un
> identifiable elements being present in any one of the sources.

> Regards,
> Ozair

You are correct.  However, they are defined (by the US Congress) as
being composed only of 'subnational' groups (although perhaps the term
transnational would be a better one) or 'clandestine' groups.

This then puts the Palestinians in the category of terrorists (by the US
defniition and the fact they the US has not yet recognized them as a
nation) while leaving (conveniently) Israel and the US out of it.
Al-Qaida is in - because Afghanastan does not embrace it, while the KGB
(when it existed) and CIA are out because they are affiliated with
nation states - but wait - they are clandestine - so they do count as
terrorists.

As a separate question - does this mean that Bush is going to war
against the terrorist and those who permit their training camps to exist
within the US? As the whole world knows, the US is a prime breeding
ground for soldiers of fortune as well as sub-national groups who try to
commit premeditated, politically motivated violence perpetrated against
noncombatants.  Is Bush really going after the CIA as well? Pretty
dangerous if you ask me.  One of the most popular and widely supported
theories of the Kenedy assasination was that it was done by the CIA...

FC

--This communication is confidential to the parties it is intended to serve--
Fred Cohen		Fred Cohen & Associates.........tel/fax:925-454-0171
fc@all.net		The University of New Haven.....http://www.unhca.com/
http://all.net/		Sandia National Laboratories....tel:925-294-2087

Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/XrFcOC/m5_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM